Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin overheat not working when sentry mode is on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the temp is like 92 F today, and my car is parked in the full sun. I check the app, and then teslafi, and both confirm the interior temp is like 119. I have cabin overheat protection turned on, and I thought that limited it to 105. So I go out and reboot the car, go back in, and check a few minutes later and its still at 119. On a whim, I disable sentry mode from the app, then I can see on the app that the temp immediately starts to drop. Charge was about 70%, so its nowhere near the 20% cutoff. Car had only been parked for about five hours too...
Anyone else see this? I'm running 2019.16.2. I did have sentry mode set to automatically come on at work, I might rethink that now.

We've turned off Sentry mode on our S/X because the current implementation is flawed.

Video recording is "write once" - and once the USB drive is filled, it has to be manually emptied to make room for new recordings. It should automatically delete the oldest recordings.

Vampire drain is considerably higher since the onboard electronics are not going into sleep mode while sentry mode is active. While this allows the USB/12V ports to be active during sentry - this increases the energy loss while parked, which probably means that vehicles parked for extended periods (when you'd want sentry mode to be active) probably can't use sentry mode.

And the loss of overheat protection, especially as the summer heats up, is the final straw.

Tesla should be able to modify the software to reuse recording space and fix overheat protection. But the increased energy use while sentry mode is active is likely unavoidable, at least until Tesla makes a design change in the hardware and probably can't be fixed in current vehicles.

I don't mind the increased vampire drain from using sentry mode. I only charge to 80%, and use 20% to 25% every day. Sentry mode using an extra 3% or so is not a problem. But I do keep non living things in the car sometimes which I do not want to get too hot, that is what bothers me more about this.

I have the same issue on 2019.16.2. In the last software version I had (2019.12.1.2) there was a note buried in a help bubble that specifically said that cabin overheat protection would not work with sentry mode. When this update came out, that note has been removed, but it still does not work. I’m going to try to get a note to the Tesla engineering team because the option still appears to be on and could be dangerous if it does not function how people expect.

I wonder if this is works as designed? Is there some technical reason why cabin overheat protection cannot function when sentry mode is active? If anything, I think you would want cabin overheat on while sentry mode is running, to help keep the MCU(or whatever sentry mode runs on) cool inside the car.