Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain - 2% in 8 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016.5 60D. I am noticing a 2% drain in 8 hours while sitting in my driveway. This may have been going on for a while, I just started tracking it. BTW, I am not checking the status with the app during this time.

I changed out the 12v battery because I do not know how long it has been in the car. It didn't make a difference.

I do have sentry mode on but it set to not go on when I am at home, which it appears to be the case. I also have "Cabin Overheat Protection" turned on, but it has been in the 60's, so there is no reason it would come on.

Any thoughts on what else to check?

You did not state if you have MCU1 or MCU2. I know on my mid-2016 build MS90D that climate overheat protection would keep the car from going into a sleep state when climate overheat was enabled, even if the temperatures were moderate. Reason is it needs to keep the system alive to monitor interior temp to know if it needs to turn on. Now MCU2 behaves a bit differently, but if MCU1, that would be my first guess.

Second is that if you just arrived back from a longer drive before you parked the car, then some of this is also likely the battery temperature dropping. That can be a much bigger impact if you are at a lower SOC, say 20% or lower.

Those are my first two initial ideas from having monitored data on my car for the past 7.5 years.

I charged to full at home yesterday evening, hadn't done that in a while. This morning it is 91%. I tirned off schedule so it wasn't that. I did notice thru the window that although my dashcams weren't on my 4 way usb power connector was lit up for some reason.

It's the first good rain we've had in a while and last time I washed and waxed the car the ceramic spray coat made the water bead up everywhere including over the AP1 camera in the windshield.

2015 MCU1, no sentry mode, everything was off according to tesla and tessie apps. No recent software update that I can tell. 2022.8.10.16

You can try turn off in the mcu for sentry, cabin heat protection, smart summon, HVAC, remove any third party app, , unplug any devices, reboot the car and leave it overnight to see what happens. I had one time sentry still on even in my garage, the app show gps location is home, not sure why. Last time when my car is in the shop for 5 weeks, I lost around 1.2/3 miles per day, when everything is off, occasional checking on the app and tech moved the car few times, not too bad.

All 2016 cars are MCU1 unless the owner upgraded.
I am well aware, but behavior of MCU1 and MCU2 are quite different on some aspects that impact vampire drain. I experienced that first had with my mid-2016 MS90D which I updated from MCU1 to MCU2 avbout 2 years ago.

That is exactly why I prefaced my post with the statement that OP had not specified that detail of his cars configuration.

FYI - my car is MCU v1. I turned off Sentry and cabin overheat and it appears to make a "small" difference. Maybe Sentry needs to have GPS on to know if it is "at home" to turn off monitoring of cameras and Cabin Overheat needs temperature readings to know when to activate.

Next step is to change my Tesla password and break all connections. I will only set-up the Tesla app and see if there are improvements.