Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry mode appears to disable COP.
Which is why we're not using Sentry mode in the Texas heat...

I've noticed this as well and wondered if that is by design or a bug. I haven't asked anyone at the factory yet as I recently noticed it and wasn't sure if I was correct in assuming it.
And not to mention sentry mode sucks juice out of the battery like a camel coming back out of the desert. I only turn it on when I am in an unfamiliar area that isn't as safe.

It's probably a design flaw.

I suspect overheat protection is implemented so the temperature is checked only while the vehicle is in sleep mode - and then wakes the processor to turn on the AC to bring down the temperature. And when that's finished, the vehicle goes back into sleep mode.

Sentry mode prevents the processor from entering sleep mode - so if overheat protection is only running during sleep - then it's never triggered.

Power consumption for sentry mode is too high - not only does it prevent overheat protection from working (which should be correctable by a software update) the power drain may be too much to enable it for long term parking (at an airport), when you'd want to use it to monitor the surroundings during extended parking.

The other design flaw with sentry mode is how the software handles the USB storage device once it is full. When we first looked at this, once the USB device runs out of space sentry mode stops recording. There should be an option to delete the oldest recordings and continue - which should be OK as long as the USB device has enough storage to handle a reasonable amount of recordings.

Thank you very much for that explanation. I live in Orlando and this summer has been exceptionally hot. I too, monitor the app and turn the a/c on. I could not figure out why the auto protect was not working. I will add; the glass window shades are a big help keeping the temps down a bit in the Florida sun...especially the front glass for the cockpit.

With respect to the USB stock for the Sentry mode, I ordered a item from Pure Tesla that seems to work fine. I did buy the largest memory stick they offered and delete old files once a month or so.