Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call me "Old School"..... (Poll)

What you you think?

• Cool, not bad - given your intended use

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • I like it and want to get one myself. How much?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • That's horrific, I'd rather see paint chips than that abomination (or similar variant)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Interesting good or bad (please post comments)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other, please specifiy by commenting/posting

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
So, when I got my M3 in June, I applied four coats of ceramic coating (see below). Then, I learned PPF shouldn't be applied go over ceramic coating - and that the ceramic coating would have to be removed in PPF areas. Being retired, most of my M3 driving is on country and local roads in the area, near my home. I do have an 1000 mile trip planned next month, so I decided to go old school for long trips (also, see below). It's a high quality carbon fiber "look" CoverCraft bra. Of course, beadmaker was applied a day earlier, and the bra itself is felt lined. I don't plan on leaving it on long term, only for long trips. And, if it gets wet, I will just dry it out overnight before reinstalling for the next day's road trip. Of course, you don't see many of these any more, so it will look "unique" on the road. Also, being custom made to order, there was are cut outs for my front license plate (WA state requirement), sensors, etc.

What do you think?

M3 w ceramic.jpg
os1.jpg
os2.jpg

Thoughts?

that looks much more high quality than most.usually they tend to look like wedgies

Thanks. Yeah, and once it the heat, I will be able to stretch it to perfection. This is as it looked right out of the small box. As I mentioned, CoverCraft makes these to order - they are not inventoried. Took about 2 weeks from order, to manufacture, to delivery. Easy to put on and off too, so that's nice. High quality fabric and vinyl as well. Put Aerospace 303 on it to help with UV and bug guts and cigarette butts protection as well! :)

It looks a lot better than I thought! I do like the way it is attached to the frunk. Gives it a sinister glare, Lucha Libre style! Your ceramic coating job is awesome. Makes me want to throw on another coat right now :p. Well researched and nicely executed!!! :cool:

It looks a lot better than I thought! I do like the way it is attached to the frunk. Gives it a sinister glare, Lucha Libre style! Your ceramic coating job is awesome. Makes me want to throw on another coat right now :p. Well researched and nicely executed!!! :cool:

Thanks! :) Yeah, throw another coat of ceramic on - then tomorrow, top with Beadmaker! :D:eek:

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Wow, I haven't seen a bra in years. I recall back in the mid 70's I got one from Colgan Customs, in fact they used my car to create the template, so mine was actually free. I have to say in the years I owned that car, not once did she suffer from drooping or sagging, um, headlights... ;)

I think it certainly spoiled the looks. But more concerned about moisture holding under the bra. Not sure how it is different from typical bra's, they used to have textile backing which holds the moisture. Also in the long run there may be too much difference in color fade under the bra vs outside.

I installed 3M clear bra my self, and it did help avoid many scratches on the bumper. Frunk/hood unfortunately suffered some small rock chips already.

Wow, I haven't seen a bra in years. I recall back in the mid 70's I got one from Colgan Customs, in fact they used my car to create the template, so mine was actually free. I have to say in the years I owned that car, not once did she suffer from drooping or sagging, um, headlights... ;)

Too funny! I had one on my 1985 Honda CRX Si and the bra also kept the front end up and perky! :p

Main reason that people stopped using auto-bras is that they tended to flutter a little at speed and could do more damage by abrasion than they would reduce by impact.

If just a little dust/dirt got on the inner surface of the bra, it would scratch the heck out of the paint. Also tended to do damage when being put on or removed. Old school for a reason.

Main reason that people stopped using auto-bras is that they tended to flutter a little at speed and could do more damage by abrasion than they would reduce by impact.

If just a little dust/dirt got on the inner surface of the bra, it would scratch the heck out of the paint. Also tended to do damage when being put on or removed. Old school for a reason.

Understand. When I had one on my CRX in the 80's, i watched out for that and never had a paint or milky paint issue - from leaving a water soaked bra on long term. Today's old school bras are well lined - unlike old school LaBras from year's past.

What do you think?

I like it and it does offer better rock protection than PPF. I used to have one of those on my VW Scirocco and left in on during a summer. When I removed it, the paint underneath was so much darker than the rest of the car. Had to polish the rest of the car to get it to match again.

The one I had on my Scirocco fit tight and didn't flap at all....well the speed limit was only 55 mph back then.

Reactions: jebinc
I like it and it does offer better rock protection than PPF. I used to have one of those on my VW Scirocco and left in on during a summer. When I removed it, the paint underneath was so much darker than the rest of the car. Had to polish the rest of the car to get it to match again.

The one I had on my Scirocco fit tight and didn't flap at all....well the speed limit was only 55 mph back then.

Thanks for the input. This one fits well and shouldn’t flap at all. I only plan to leave it on for the long highway trips, so I don’t expect fading. I do expect better than PPF protection, especially at high speeds! :D

Cool. I’m owned many Accord V6 EX-L’s over the years!

I was planning on ordering a 2020 Acura NSX next year, but decided on the C8 Corvette instead. Briefly considered the 2020 Tesla Roadster, but my Model 3 delivery experience was the worst car buying experience I have ever had. It required over $3600 in body shop repairs (paid by Tesla) because of all the paint and alignment flaws.

Reactions: jebinc