Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Model X use a motorcycle carrier on the hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only if the motorcycle and carrier weigh less than 120 lb combined. I would think most motorcycles weigh more than that.

See page 99 in owners manual.

Carrying Accessories
The Model X towing package has a 2" hitch
receiver that can support an accessory carrier.
The hitch receiver is designed to support
vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When
carrying bicycles or other items on the Model
X hitch, always check to ensure that the
maximum weight is not exceeded. When
calculating weight, remember to include the
weight of the accessory carrier. For example,
assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the
weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two
bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each,
or four bicycles weighing approximately 20
lbs each.

I have a KTM electric ditt bike on the hitch. The weigth is as a 4 stroke ditt bike.
The battery is inside the car. - aprox 15 kg.
IMG_20191024_120012_resized_20201104_072926650.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_120012_resized_20201104_072926650.jpg
    IMG_20191024_120012_resized_20201104_072926650.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 487
I have a KTM electric ditt bike on the hitch. The weigth is as a 4 stroke ditt bike.
The battery is inside the car. - aprox 15 kg.
View attachment 605353
Hi, new here, really hope to learn what % in range reduction do you see by carrying the moto on the back this way? Am about to buy my first EV but my favorite riding areas tend to be 60% of the total 'stated' range and it is really important to me to get back and forth on one charge... is it possible?

Hi, new here, really hope to learn what % in range reduction do you see by carrying the moto on the back this way? Am about to buy my first EV but my favorite riding areas tend to be 60% of the total 'stated' range and it is really important to me to get back and forth on one charge... is it possible?
The problem is, hitch receiver (the part that comes with the car), is rated to only carry 120 lbs vertical weight with no trailing axle. You will need a trailer to carry that load.

Reactions: EbS-P
What? Where did you read the receiver can only hold 120lbs weight?
Owners manual. Search for “towing.” Also don’t forget that includes the weight of the accessory itself. If the bike rack or whatever weighs 40 lb empty, you can only add 80 lb of cargo. It can support a TRAILER up to 5000 lb with a tongue weight up to 500 lb. if you have 20 inch wheels.

Last edited: