Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use a motorcycle platform on the Model Y tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed but i have not been able to find anything definitive.
I have a '22 Model YP and wondering if I can use a motorcycle hitch like this:

I understand that the towing capacity is 3500lbs, and that the vertical weight rating is around 120lbs and the tongue weight is 350 or 500lbs (please correct me if I got something wrong!). Is this a limit of the suspension or a limit of the actual structural integrity of the hitch? My bike is about 400lbs + the weight of the carrier is a littl eless than 100lbs.

Has anyone done this or seen anyone doing this? I saw a gentleman in Europe with a red model X had his electric KTM along with another bike on a similar carrier but not sure if the X and Y differ. I appreciate any help in advance!

Reactions: JDEWD250
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed but i have not been able to find anything definitive.

I understand that the towing capacity is 3500lbs, and that the vertical weight rating is around 120lbs and the tongue weight is 350 or 500lbs (please correct me if I got something wrong!). Is this a limit of the suspension or a limit of the actual structural integrity of the hitch? My bike is about 400lbs + the weight of the carrier is a littl eless than 100lbs.

Has anyone done this or seen anyone doing this? I saw a gentleman in Europe with a red model X had his electric KTM along with another bike on a similar carrier but not sure if the X and Y differ. I appreciate any help in advance!
Absolutely not. Vertical hitch weight is 160lbs

Hang 500lbs on the back and your hitch is going to fail once you go over your first bump.

Hang 500lbs on the back and your hitch is going to fail once you go over your first bump.

Absolutly, all the weight will be hold by those red bolts (see the picture below).

Use a trailer instead.

screenshot_20220910-020022-2-png.850945

Reactions: DerbyCityY
>> I see now. Most trailer hitches I'm used to use the side frame of the car for support, giving it much more leverage support.

Yes, you are right. The back panel supporting the rear bumper is part of the crushing zone.
This design was made to protect as most as possible the high voltage battery.

Note: The picture above shows in fact the European OEM Tesla Model 3 tow bar,
which explains why the tow hitch is vertical, as the ball mount is inserted from below the car,
like in the case of the Model X. In US, the Model 3 custom tow bars use 4 bolts.

You can get more information regarding using the Model Y tow hitch and towing limitations on the followig Tesla Website:

#5 - I'm not a fan of those hitch mounted carriers. I had a bad experience loading a bike and it did a little over $5,000 in damages. I don't know what the max tongue weight is for the cybertruck but my bike it's over 500lbs which seems to be a common limit for hitch tongue weights. Pictures of the cybertruck at the Peterson museum show the hitch and it looks similar to the hitch on the model X which has a max tongue weight of 500lbs.​
20160602_222034-jpg.564801

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyCityY
Even if you use such a hitch rack, you have a high risk of dropping your bike while loading and unloading it from the rack. There is not much clearance on the bumper side, and the slope on the ramp is steep.

It's just much easier to rent a small moto trailer for when you need to transport your cycle. Get yourself a long ramp to make loading easy.

I am going to be getting a Model Y soon. I use this motorcycle tow hitch to transport my bike to the track. I used the tow hitch on a Ford Transit 350. The van handles the hitch like a dream. The hitch is so practical and makes it easy to transport the bike. Unfortunately I don't think a Model Y will be able to handle the weight of a motorcycle on this type of hitch. It is going to be safer attaching a trailer and tow the bike on the trailer.