Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can PowerCO signal to produce less?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed in the past...

I have a:
- SolarRoof 15.4KW
- 2 x PW+
- BGW 2

As we get into summer months I'm trying to troubleshoot a production issue on my system. We've had 14+ days of sunny weather (no clouds).

For the first 6-7 days my system was producing 70KWH days (with ~40-45KWH to the grid). Then it dropped to ~50-55KWH days, but the days were just as sunny (if not more and of course longer). What made me suspicious were the solar production graphs. On a good production day (~70-80), they are typical smooth, on a ~50-55KWH day they are erratic (and shouldn't be since there are no clouds). I was suspicious and restarted my PW's and Gateway one day, and the next day I produced 79KWH. But the day after that it dropped back down to ~58.9KWH (with erratic graph).

My suspicion is something is signaling back to the inverters to lower production (so instead of sending ~10KWH to the Grid, it's ~6-7KWH). I know it's possible (functionaly at least) since it's no different than self power mode when I was waiting on PTO (to avoid sending to the grid at all).

What I'm wondering is:
  • Is this possible tat PG&E and/or Tesla are signing the system to produce less for any reason? If so, what reason?
  • How can I go ahead and prove this?
    • Tesla said my system is working "at capacity and fine" but 2 reboots seems to restore max capacity for 24 hours before it goes back to this ~75% of what I know to be max.
Would appreciate any insights.

Thx.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_4672.PNG
    1-IMG_4672.PNG
    212.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2-IMG_4671.PNG
    2-IMG_4671.PNG
    221.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 3-IMG_4670.PNG
    3-IMG_4670.PNG
    216.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 4-IMG_4677.jpg
    4-IMG_4677.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 5-IMG_4678.jpg
    5-IMG_4678.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 38
TL;DR Call Tesla, and insist that you have a problem.

Your utility does not have a way to curtail production (yet). Those graphs looks like a Tesla issue, either an MCI/wiring problem or inverter issue to me. My bet would be wiring or MCI issues. Look at the recent MCI threads. (MCI=mid circuit interrupter) It may be as simple as a loose connection somewhere, but I would certainly get it addressed.

So call Tesla, be nice, and keep calling back until you get a representative who moves things forward. I have called representatives three times in a row until I got someone who acknowledged that there was an issue. (And when they do move things forward, call back again to monitor the progress every couple of days.)

Good luck!

BG

Reactions: marcor and jgleigh