Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Powerwall overcome solar inverter maximum output?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a Powerwall 2. My solar panels have a maximum output of 4.5 kW but occasionally are restricted by a 3.8 kW inverter.

On sunny summer days the production curve exhibits a plateau, rather than a peak, centered around noon because the solar panel output temporarily exceeds the inverter capacity.

Are there circumstances where the Powerwall 2 (with or without relying on its built-in inverter) could allow my system to exceed the 3.8 kW limit of the solar panel's inverter?

For example, if the panels are producing 4 kW, and the house is requiring only 1 kW, can the system make use of all 4 kW by automatically sending 1 kW to house and the remaining 3 kW to the Powerwall for charging?

I suppose I'll soon have a real-life answer to this question, but it's too early in the year and the weather so far has not been cooperating.

Thanks-

Your 3800 Watt inverter, like you stated, is the limiting factor. Since its max AC output is 3.8 kW, the Gateway can only distribute up to what it receives from the Solar inverter.

My system is like yours but doubled.
I have two 3800 inverter and two Powerwalls. My Solar panels are rated 10.7 kW.

The max I see is 7.8 kW (never above this, I know it should be 7.6 but its shows 7.8 kW tops ).

The Gateway then send/split 7.8 kW among the House Load, Charging Powerwalls or the Grid.

The rest is clipped - a plateu just like yours.

Screenshot_20190609-004159_Tesla.jpg