Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla unlock the car for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I'm as usual fixating on my future car.
I'm wondering, if I lost my phone, wallet, etc. and had a valet key locked in my glove box, would i be able to call tesla and have them unlock the car?
would i be able to have them unlock the glove box, or somehow act like a remote key and allow me full access to get home?
I don't ever plan on this scenario, but just wondering.
A lot of conventional manufacturers do allow remote unlocking (better cars won't even let you lock your keys inside) but I'm just wondering, and deciding whether to buy more key cards, leave one in the glove box, etc.
thanks!

Not sure.

Better bet is to just install the Telsa App on someone else phone, login with your account and unlock your doors.
thanks for the reply.
probably my last 5 cars, if i need to, i can call the manufacturer and have them unlock the car.
i also have app capability.
but i'm wondering, what if i don't have the key, and my phone is stolen, etc. (yeah, how do you make the phone call????)
and then no wallet, so you shouldn't be driving anyway, but those are other issues.
i do NOT want to wear a keycard ring (but at the same time i think it is uber cool)
i'd love to get a $50 insert and either put it inside my watch band, under my watch, etc. and then always have a spare key on me.
then again, i don't get out much :)

thanks for the reply.
probably my last 5 cars, if i need to, i can call the manufacturer and have them unlock the car.
i also have app capability.
but i'm wondering, what if i don't have the key, and my phone is stolen, etc. (yeah, how do you make the phone call????)
and then no wallet, so you shouldn't be driving anyway, but those are other issues.
i do NOT want to wear a keycard ring (but at the same time i think it is uber cool)
i'd love to get a $50 insert and either put it inside my watch band, under my watch, etc. and then always have a spare key on me.
then again, i don't get out much :)

The correct answer to this was already given. You would call someone (friend, family, co worker), ask them to install the tesla app on their smartphone, give them your tesla credential,s and tell them to unlock your door (AND start your car).

if you are creating a situation where you can call tesla, you can also call someone who actually knows who you are, and walk them through the above. I dont know if new model S use keycards or only keyfobs. Model 3s all come with keycards that fit anyplace you keep your drivers license (which everyone should have when they drive their car).

There is no scenario you can create where it is "easier / faster / better" for you to think you can call Tesla to unlock your car, when you couldnt call someone who knows you to install the tesla app and have them unlock it for you as well.

The correct answer to this was already given. You would call someone (friend, family, co worker), ask them to install the tesla app on their smartphone, give them your tesla credential,s and tell them to unlock your door (AND start your car).

if you are creating a situation where you can call tesla, you can also call someone who actually knows who you are, and walk them through the above. I dont know if new model S use keycards or only keyfobs. Model 3s all come with keycards that fit anyplace you keep your drivers license (which everyone should have when they drive their car).

There is no scenario you can create where it is "easier / faster / better" for you to think you can call Tesla to unlock your car, when you couldnt call someone who knows you to install the tesla app and have them unlock it for you as well.
thank you and i appreciate the response.
the only other scenario i can think of is not knowing my tesla credentials - so they install the app, and can't get in.
even a forgotten password wouldn't help if it emailed to me, and i couldn't retrieve on their phone.
fortunately, i at least know my email credentials for google, outlook, etc. - so i guess the next step is to make sure i have my app credentials memorized.
i'm also considering removing a chip from a keycard and making it into something...
thanks again!

I recently read on Reddit where Tesla did this. The OP had locked the car with his phone inside and his wife had both fobs. He called Tesla (maybe a service center?) and provided the email on the account, the name of the car, and the account password. With that info, they unlocked the car remotely, and with his phone, he was able to start the car.

That's a good scenario however loosing the wallet AND the phone all at the same time would just make for a terrible day. Passwords, now that's a different story. I'm not good with remembering them myself so I like to use phrases and associations. So like in your email you can think of receiving Funstuff2day.

Hi all,
I'm wondering, if I lost my phone, wallet, etc. and had a valet key locked in my glove box, would i be able to call tesla and have them unlock the car?
would i be able to have them unlock the glove box, or somehow act like a remote key and allow me full access to get home?
A lot of conventional manufacturers do allow remote unlocking (better cars won't even let you lock your keys inside) but I'm just wondering, and deciding whether to buy more key cards, leave one in the glove box, etc.
thanks!
Yes I have done it. Called Tesla with pertinent information (VIN, location, other details for which they asked) and they remotely unlocked the car. Of course, that was in 2016, and have not had to do it since but I cannot see why roadside couldn't do it today.

Hi all,
thanks!
Yes. They can. They did it for me when my key fob battery died and I was locked out. To make matters worse I had just bought it from Vroom so the papers were not all there. But I had enough info to convince the guy at Tesla who unlocked my car remotely and I was able to get home and change the battery.