Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Generic non Tesla Key fob options???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yeen

Feb 14, 2024
Florida
So I'm not the only one that uses the car and often phone as key lags or doesn't seem to work until I pull out my phone and open the app and manually open it. I know there is a wallet credit card one but I'd rather put something on my key ring that isn't the shape of a car with a rubber band holding it to the ring to where it gets lost lol.

I just want like a basic little square remote that has lock unlock and trunk\hatch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_214841_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_214841_Chrome.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 30
So I'm not the only one that uses the car and often phone as key lags or doesn't seem to work until I pull out my phone and open the app and manually open it. I know there is a wallet credit card one but I'd rather put something on my key ring that isn't the shape of a car with a rubber band holding it to the ring to where it gets lost lol.

I just want like a basic little square remote that has lock unlock and trunk\hatch.

it's gonna be a car lol

Upvote 0
Should never close the Tesla app. Hit home without closing. If the app is closed because of a phone update or turning the phone off, reopen the app right away. On my Android phone, I can see at a glance that the app is open in the background because there will be a little number indicating a message as the app periodically connects and disconnects from the car (that doesn't affect key operation).

Upvote 0
iPhone unlocking is fairly garbage and has been for a few years. Something happened in an update either to the app or the car or the phone and it's never been the same. About 2 yrs after getting my 2019 M3 is when it started. Car fails to unlock upon walking up about 40-50% of the time. Happened on the M3 and has happened on the MY since almost day 1. Yes, all settings are set correctly. As I said, one day it worked flawlessly, the next it became hit or miss.

Upvote 0

What car do you have? They're updating the communication protocol for newer vehicles. Tesla Enhances Phone Key Functionality with Ultra-Wideband in Latest Update - CleanTechnica

Upvote 0
iPhone unlocking is fairly garbage and has been for a few years. Something happened in an update either to the app or the car or the phone and it's never been the same. About 2 yrs after getting my 2019 M3 is when it started. Car fails to unlock upon walking up about 40-50% of the time. Happened on the M3 and has happened on the MY since almost day 1. Yes, all settings are set correctly. As I said, one day it worked flawlessly, the next it became hit or miss.
Not to derail the conversation but how old is your phone? I've yet to have an issue with the iPhone for over a year.

Reactions: joeinNFLA
Upvote 0
I just wish someone offered a repackaged key card in a form factor other than a ring (I don't wear rings for several reasons), that easily clipped to a key ring but was smaller than a card. I attempted to make one like an RFID tag like this
28161.png

but it didn't work and at $17.50 a pop I didn't want to keep buying cards and attempting to repackage them without a good chance of success.

Upvote 0
I bout the original Tesla key fob. Setting it up with my Y was easy. Unfortunately it doesn't work anywhere near as well as in my previous Model S. I believe the S had several antennas all around to sense the key fob. The Y doesn't seem to have the same system. It works flawless with my phones but the fob by itself isn't working well. Given that I doubt a third party fob will work better. The other options, like the NFC ring require you to put your hand on the B pillar.

Upvote 0
Not to derail the conversation but how old is your phone? I've yet to have an issue with the iPhone for over a year.
It's a galaxy s23. It does the same thing with my partners brand new current gen Google pixel phone randomly on their 24 M. Y long range and it always has a video for the dash cam thing after thinking it was someone unauthorized trying the handle lol.

It actually made me use the key card from my wallet this past week even after opening the Tesla app standing next to the car looking like an idiot for a while trying to open it with my phone out.

I just want regular buttons on a key ring I can lock unlock and open the hatch lol

Upvote 0