Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Credit be claimed twice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few years back I claimed this thing as I installed a home charger.

If I install another charger this year can I claim it again? I have googled but cannot find anybody asking this question, let alone answering it.

Like, is it 30% up to $1k lifetime for the home (I doubt it), or what?

Thanks !!

The standard caveat applies, you should consult with a professional tax advisor / CPA for the authoritative answer, but I will offer this from looking at the instructions of Form 8911 (which is the form you would use to claim the credit):

Line 12​

For refueling property placed in service before 2023, generally, enter $1,000. However, if the location of your main home changed during the tax year and you placed personal use refueling property in service before 2023 at both locations during the tax year, enter $2,000.

For refueling property placed in service after 2022, enter $1,000 for each item of refueling property you placed in service during your tax year. The $1,000 limit changed from per location in 2022 to per item of property in 2023.

(by "property" they mean the charging station--this form is also used for other forms of alternative fueling)

I bolded the key phrase. My reading of that is that you could claim the credit multiple times, however it's unclear to me what to enter if you had one piece of equipment installed before 2023 and one after. I know how I would interpret it.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
The standard caveat applies, you should consult with a professional tax advisor / CPA for the authoritative answer, but I will offer this from looking at the instructions of Form 8911 (which is the form you would use to claim the credit):

(by "property" they mean the charging station--this form is also used for other forms of alternative fueling)

I bolded the key phrase. My reading of that is that you could claim the credit multiple times, however it's unclear to me what to enter if you had one piece of equipment installed before 2023 and one after. I know how I would interpret it.
Thank you :) I am probably going to interpret this as I'm getting an extra $300 back next year!

Reactions: RTPEV