Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car feels like I am driving in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone this is my 1st post here. I searched the forums for a bit, but I could not read everything, so my apologies if this has been discussed before. My apologies on my English as well:(
I have the 2014 Model S85 with coil suspensions, almost 200000 miles. I own it for the last 13000miles and it was driving great in the beginning.

Symptoms:
a) on acceleration the car pulls to the right as the front raises. When I release the throttle, and the front dives, it pulls to the left. Its not minor, it feels scary, and I have stop driving fast and changing lanes when other cars are closeby.
b) Above 70-80mph, the car feels like it cannot keep a straight line. It goes left to right. It feels like I have tooooo much play on the wheel. Even the self driving cannot keep a perfect line, it oscillates left-right at the high speeds. However, in low speeds it feels great and accurate, without any play.
The feel is like driving in snow, floaty. And even though it does not want to stay in a straight line, when I initiate a change of course, I feel like it does not want to change route. But once I start turning it feels like it wants to oversteer. I know it sounds weird, but its my best effort to describe the issue.
c) I replaced the rear tires and the wear on the inside threads was excessive.
d) I did an alignment, which did not resolve the issue. It was not much off the greens anyway.
e) Tesla service wants $240 just to troubleshoot the suspension system and give me suggestions, and they want the car for a full day at least.
f) I have 2 refusals from other generic shops to even drive/look at a Tesla. (trying to save some money, but more importantly, been without the car, as my home is 90miles from my work)

I am very handy and can fix most things in an "smoking" car, but I have never touched any suspension parts.
Considering the high mileage of my Tesla, and that the previous owner did not do any suspension related work, I am considering replacing all the sway bar/upper control arm/lower control arms and suspension/coil assembly for each side. From Ebay I can find these parts around $900. Rock auto has them but I do not know the total cost (yet). Autozone's quote was $1900. From Tesla is above $2600 ( I lost the count as they were telling me the price for each component)

Any thoughts/ suggestions? How you all think I should handle this situation? Anything else I should consider? Any objections?

Thank you in advance for your time!!!

Emmanouil

I am changing the toe links right now. I was able to remove the bolts without cutting them, I just wiggle them a bit and rotate them.
I cannot find the torque specs for the bolts though, if anyone sees the post please let me know.
For anyone willing to do it on its own, it's pretty straightforward, expect that I needed an 18mm wrench, which is not very common.

The bushings have no visible damage, but I will now this afternoon if the car drives fine again. The bushing that I saw cracking is on the integral link, I will replace that right after.

I am also tempted to replace the upper link with an adjustable one as the replaced tires had EXCESSIVE wear on the inside, I think increasing the camber angle a bit will give me a more uniform wear.

Thank you all guys for your input, I will be back later with driving impressions

I found the torque at the service.tesla.com website. It’s 80Nm for the bolt that attaches the toe link to the subframe, 130 Nm for the bolt that is behind the hub..
I can confirm that the driving feeling is back to normal, the toe link bushings were indeed the problem.
Thank you for the diagnosis guys. It was spot on!!