Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Inspection and Lease Buy-out Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
Have searched forum and have not found info, so am posting in new thread.

I am in the last 6 months of my MS 100D lease and am strongly considering buying it out. Reasons why are (1) comfort of current seats vs new style in Y or S, and (2) pano roof. Reason #1 is 2x more important than #1. Also I have free supercharging but that is a distant 3rd. I have a bad back -3 degenerative disks. Car has ~50k miles and buyout is $65k.

I was interested in seeing if it was possible to have the car inspected outside of Tesla for things like health of batteries, amount of read/write cycles left on eMMC, and whatever else would make sense. So far I’ve not found anyone able to do this. I contacted one firm and they said it wasn’t a service they performed (firm does do Tesla sanctioned work, albeit limited). Maybe my idea doesn’t make sense? Would appreciate owner opinions.

I also considered turning in the car and buying newer CPO with next gen seats and pano roof, if price was appreciably lower than buyout, but a cursory review suggests there might not be enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile. And I’d have the same issue + needing to inspect body with a finetooth comb.

If my idea makes sense and/or you are aware of people/firms who would do this I’d appreciate the info. If you don’t want to put firm info directly in reply, pls PM me.

Thanks very much.

Skip

Health of battery is pretty much indicated by your range trend from what I have read.

eMMC replacement is $1500 from Tesla. I’d assume it’s going to need replacing within the time you own the car.

I’m not sure what someone would charge, but I feel like it’s a waste because there would be no guarantee.

if your concerned, factor in the cost of an aftermarket warranty or just consider the eMMC will die.

I do think the price is high. I’d see if they would negotiate. Find comparable cars and make an offer. Remember a preowned from Tesla would have a warranty.

In general, used car prices have been dropping with Covid.