Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car issue this WE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started driving this WE, and realized the lights stayed on while driving under a beating midday sun. I could turn them off by switching them off from the display. But the AUTO mode would keep them on.
Also ,the autopilot couldn't see the road while on the freeway. So it was therefore not possible to switch the autopilot on.
I stopped the car, shut it down, and restarted: same thing.
Then after coming back home, and driving the car later on that day, all was back in order.
Any idea what this could have been?

I started driving this WE, and realized the lights stayed on while driving under a beating midday sun. I could turn them off by switching them off from the display. But the AUTO mode would keep them on.
Also ,the autopilot couldn't see the road while on the freeway. So it was therefore not possible to switch the autopilot on.
I stopped the car, shut it down, and restarted: same thing.
Then after coming back home, and driving the car later on that day, all was back in order.
Any idea what this could have been?
I started having the same issue with my headlights recently. I had brought my S in for service and one of the things I wanted them to look at was the autodimming rearview mirror - it hasn't reliably dimmed for some time. We are waiting for a replacement mirror, but in the meantime they must have checked it and tried to adjust it because now a) it still doesn't reliably dim, b) like you, my headlights now stay on unless I manually shut them off (and they revert to auto after shutting down the car), and c) the intermittent wipers now show no rain sensitivity: regular, slow wipe, regardless of conditions.

The current hypothesis is that it's due to the sensors in the mirror assembly. You may want to have your Service Center look at that. (As always, YMMV.)