Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car keeps asking for key card inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where exactly is your phone?
Once in a while this winter I've had an issue with this if my phone is stuffed in the back pocket of my pants with a heavy coat pinned under it. I usually take my phone out and place it on the console of the car. I've never had an issue when it's there.

I'm not very smart or technical at all, but I've read in here that the Bluetooth signal is slightly different from a normal one?
That could be why there can be a lag in the connection. I'm usually not in a hurry, but if I walk quickly to the car and try to drive right away the thing basically says "Woah, chill out. Give me a second and you can more than make up for lost time."

lately, with my m3 sr+, the walk-up unlock is not reliable. for the first 2 or 3 months, it worked very well, with only the occasional 'who are you, again?'.

the last 2 sw updates (I'm now at the .40 sw rel) do seem to have made the car 'forget' me more.

bluetooth is problematic, and its not really as reliable a set of protocols as consumer may be led to believe, but the last few updates seem to have caused more aggressive sleeping and maybe that's causing the latency. when I take the time to open the app and wait for it to respond, THEN the walk-up unlock always works.

Occasionally I have my phone turned off. I can unlock the car with the key card, but if too much time passes (as when I'm busy putting stuff in the car) and the car asks for the key car to start, the interior card reader does not respond to the card. It used to. So I know where to put it. But it doesn't any more. When that happens I need to turn my phone back on. It's not a really big deal, but is a small nuisance. Fortunately, it's been a long time since the phone failed to work.