Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gone surfing - how lock M3 with Tesla Key Card keeping windows ajar (i.e. "vent" open)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Exposed to the sun in hot days I leave my M3 windows slightly open by clicking Controls then "Vent" in the Tesla Phone App, which keeps it cooler inside.

When I go surfing the phone is not an option so I lock my car with the Tesla Key Card and keep it in a pocket inside my wetsuit.

With the Key Card, can it be set so that on locking the car it does so but leaves the windows slightly open in "Vent" open mode?

Hopefully there is someone out there that has solved this one !?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Hi All,

Exposed to the sun in hot days I leave my M3 windows slightly open by clicking Controls then "Vent" in the Tesla Phone App, which keeps it cooler inside.

When I go surfing the phone is not an option so I lock my car with the Tesla Key Card and keep it in a pocket inside my wetsuit.

With the Key Card, can it be set so that on locking the car it does so but leaves the windows slightly open in "Vent" open mode?

Hopefully there is someone out there that has solved this one !?

Thanking you in advance for your help.
I think there should be a setting in the car to close windows when locked. Just uncheck the box.

Also where is your phone during all of this? If it’s inside the car then anyone can walk up and open your door or even drive away unless you disable the phone key and/or turn off Bluetooth on your phone.

Reactions: jmaddr
Upvote 0
Thank you brkaus for the suggestion, certainly an alternative (and manageable for 2-3 hour surfs), but would prefer plain outside air to flow in/out to take the edge off inside the car. Let me see if I can find a solution and have both as an option ! Thanks.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure there's no solution. Where I am, it rarely gets above 65º, so this isn't as much of an issue for me. The car does get hot anyway, but as soon as I get back, I open all the windows.

Also where is your phone during all of this? If it’s inside the car then anyone can walk up and open your door or even drive away unless you disable the phone key and/or turn off Bluetooth on your phone.
Turning off Bluetooth works fine as long as you remember. Here's the final checklist that is taped on my surfing box:
  • Sunscreen On
  • Glasses Off
  • Earplugs In
  • Board Waxed
  • Leash On
  • Water Drunk
  • Bluetooth Off
  • Car Locked

Key With Lanyard.jpg

Finally, doesn't venting the windows make a break-in more likely?

Upvote 0
Pretty sure there's no solution. Where I am, it rarely gets above 65º, so this isn't as much of an issue for me. The car does get hot anyway, but as soon as I get back, I open all the windows.

Turning off Bluetooth works fine as long as you remember. Here's the final checklist that is taped on my surfing box:
  • Sunscreen On
  • Glasses Off
  • Earplugs In
  • Board Waxed
  • Leash On
  • Water Drunk
  • Bluetooth Off
  • Car Locked

View attachment 1001402

Finally, doesn't venting the windows make a break-in more likely?
Thank you PianoAI and E90Alex ! Great to get your feedback. Yeah, there may not be a solution for keeping windows ajar/vented when leaving the car with just the Key Card.

In response -

1/ Maybe I am too trusting and confident (or plain naive !) that venting the windows leaving the windows ajar with Sentry on, that thieves would not want to mess with a Tesla.

2/ I often leave the phone at home and just take the Tesla Key Card, but on occasion I do leave the phone in the glovebox. I had no idea of the risk of leaving Bluetooth on - THANKS FOR THE WARNING - I will turn it off.

3/ As additional security I do have a PIN code that is needed to open the glovebox and to start the car.

PianoAI - Love your checklist (disciplined and organized !) and the photo of your strap and card holder. Mine (below) is similar but I should upgrade !

1703128968696.png

Attachments

• 1703128968766.png
    1703128968766.png
    726.5 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
😂 brkaus; both door cans and door cams ! True - I expect thieves familiar with and focused on taking a Tesla will not be deterred and know how to work around deterrents. OK....thanks everyone, will go on your advice to just simply lock the car and close the windows and turn on overheat protection ! Have a good Christmas and New Year !

Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
Thank you PianoAI and E90Alex ! Great to get your feedback. Yeah, there may not be a solution for keeping windows ajar/vented when leaving the car with just the Key Card.

In response -

1/ Maybe I am too trusting and confident (or plain naive !) that venting the windows leaving the windows ajar with Sentry on, that thieves would not want to mess with a Tesla.

2/ I often leave the phone at home and just take the Tesla Key Card, but on occasion I do leave the phone in the glovebox. I had no idea of the risk of leaving Bluetooth on - THANKS FOR THE WARNING - I will turn it off.

3/ As additional security I do have a PIN code that is needed to open the glovebox and to start the car.

PianoAI - Love your checklist (disciplined and organized !) and the photo of your strap and card holder. Mine (below) is similar but I should upgrade !

View attachment 1001597
I saw that someone is making a ring that you can wear on your finger that acts the same way that a key card does. This way you don't have to worry about the strap on your card breaking or falling off it you have a major wipeout.

Upvote 0
Since I'm always wearing a wetsuit and the keycard on the lanyard is inside the wetsuit, there's no danger of losing it.

Also, the car can record your surfing session, at least the last half hour or so. My other camera (sitting on the roof of the car) ran out of battery at 1:46 in this clip, and the remainder of the video was recorded by the dashcam. When I get into the car, I switch out the USB drive so that the last 30 minutes of video aren't overwritten.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0