Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car on/off when door open/closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn’t sure how to search for this, but when I initially open a rear door to put a child in the back seat, the car and AC turns on. However, when I close the door, everything turns off. Then once I open the driver’s door, everything turns on again. I find this behavior annoying and also I fear the wear and tear it causes to the AC compressor. Does anyone have a work around to have the car not turn on when a rear door is opened? Or if there is a way to make it stay on until I open the driver’s door?

We have 2 kids and I’m not always picking up the one that goes in the seat behind me.

I would have thought the compressor is continuously running if the temp outside is anywhere above 70-75 degrees given solar gain and the fact that it feels like it’s continuously pumping out cool air. I normally wouldn’t cate about this but it seems like the compressors fail prematurely more often in Tesla’s than other vehicles based on how many reports are on this forum.

Is your impression that the compressor fails, or that people loose cooling ?
I am under the impression that most cooling problems are just like in most cars; due to a leak, and once gas pressure gets too low, the compressor stops to protect itself. (All of them does, without the gas/lubrication they would be destroyed if ran dry)

Last edited: