Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car registered at Tesla to the wrong owner - how to fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Etmaniac

X 100D LR M20
Dec 5, 2019
Schoten
Hi,
I have recently (December 19) taken ownership of a X, great car, has its issues but those can be resolved. Love it.
The only problem is this.. The car ownership and legal registration are on my name. Yet in the Tesla system they have registered the car to the wrong owner (finance company I have used to buy it). This is resulting in all sorts of issues.

I can change that myself via the Tesla car ownership change process but then Tesla will view my brand new car as a second hand car, losing the lifetime supercharging perk I got with the car. But also I do not want this car to be registered at Tesla as a second hand car. Going round in circles. Tesla appears unable or unwilling to change it, I suspect the first..

Suggestions are very welcome, I somehow doubt I am the first..

Thanks!!

What's the worst case scenario at leaving it the way it is?

Can you access the car with the mobile app and does it show up in your Tesla Account page?

Hi, I can use the app, but the car does not show up in my Tesla account page.

I also do not get any notifications from Tesla with regard to service appointments as they go to the owner they have listed in their system. This also means that all future charges for repairs and possible idle times go to the incorrect owner, I will see none of those notifications. That incorrect owner will obviously ignore any mail from Tesla or any charge. So not the best situation.

thanks

Where did you get the idea I am trying to cheat any system? I am the first and only owner of the car. Tesla just messed up the ownership in their own database when they delivered the car and seem to be incapable of correcting their error.
Sorry - my bad. I missed "new" and was reading in a returned lease purchase or something like that when you said purchased from finance company. Again, sorry.

Oops. I re-read. I think I understand now. It’s new.

but why with finance company in the first place? They should be the lien holder.

Nope, its what we call a renting, its a fiscal thing over here. Car ownership is with me, the car is registered in my name etc.
Even the financing company acknowledged this is incorrect. Tesla also agrees this is not correct, both pointing to another for a solution...

You have access in the online section of Tesla.com?

and you can do all the controls from within the app?

Definitly wouldn’t want to give away free charging, so I’d get anything in writing if you do have them make a change.

Hi, I can use the app, but the car does not show up in my Tesla account page.

This doesn't add up, since you need the same credentials to log into both the website and the app. So if the car is accessible with your app, and you use the same credentials to login to the website, the car has to be there as well. Once you get the car onto your Tesla account, you can change the contact info all you want. How are you logged into the mobile app?