Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car vibrates after installing aftermarket wheels and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. Installed 19 inch R241 wheels on my MYP with Goodyear electric drive GT tires and the whole car just feels worse than before on the 21 inch with pirreli. Balancing has been done 3 times and road forced too. Is it the tires that just ride harsh because there electric specific tires? Rims are clean with no bends or cracks. Not sure what else to check for or do. Any suggestions please?

There's a useful distinction between harshness and vibration that it would be helpful for you to make-- are you talking about responses to imperfections in the roadway, or about vibration that happens on a smooth road, perhaps speed dependent? The first is a pretty inherent property of tires, the second indicates a fixable problem.

Finding a real pro to take it out for a test drive is probably the best thing to try to do at this point. The guy I go to fine tunes old sports/race cars and can tell you in a minute in the car "Oh yeah, the upper ball joint on the left side is a little loose" or "I think the toe-in on the right is off". Such guys are not straightforward to find.

were the rotor bolts removed? Some wheels do not clear the stock bolt and needs to be removed in order for wheels to sit flush to rotor:

Hi guys. Installed 19 inch R241 wheels on my MYP with Goodyear electric drive GT tires and the whole car just feels worse than before on the 21 inch with pirreli. Balancing has been done 3 times and road forced too. Is it the tires that just ride harsh because there electric specific tires? Rims are clean with no bends or cracks. Not sure what else to check for or do. Any suggestions please?
If the centerbore of rims is not exactly the same as wheel hub, then you get vibrations,

rolling green also have a good point 👍

were the rotor bolts removed? Some wheels do not clear the stock bolt and needs to be removed in order for wheels to sit flush to rotor:

I have the 18” version of these. They have pockets. No need to remove bolts. Mine are also proper centre bore, but they do sell multiple bore sizes.