Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Care when using Tesla Waze or web browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego Model S LR and decided to try Waze given the storm I was likely to encounter. After about 5 minutes the large center screen froze. In addition, the 2nd screen by the driver also froze and took out turn signals, speed and any other function. The vehicle rebooted on its' own in about 2-3 minutes and all functions returned. Unknown if this was due to Waze or the internet browser. They need to fix this so a failure of one will not effect the overall operation of the vehicle. I love our 2 Teslas but sometimes I feel like a beta tester.

I've seen similar websites reboot the MCU. Know that even though you don't hear turn signals, they are working. It's a Chrome browser issue or a website code issue...I wouldn't be quick to say it's Tesla's fault or issue. There will always be bad coded websites and flaws in the open source chrome. Continual improvement on those sides should eventually fix it. In the meantime, just stay clear of those websites.

I do think Tesla should have better error checking built in for all their process so a complete reboot doesn't happen....

What's the website to get Waze on the MCU?
I’ll post this as I just didn’t know so it’s hopefully helpful to others.

Waze allows the alerts (and driving directions if you want) to be played as a Bluetooth call instead of Bluetooth audio (which would need the user to select Bluetooth as the car input). This allows you to use the native stereo and navigation as usual but start Waze in your phone and it will interrupt as a phone call with any traffic or speed alerts.

It’s the best situation for me short of CP/AA as I get to use Tesla navigation with its battery integration, the Tesla streaming and Spotify audio, but still get traffic and speed alerts from Tesla. I just have to launch Tesla on my phone when I want those alerts (which I would have to do on CP as well - and this can be scripted via shortcuts or Tasker).

Reactions: IROAR