Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S was at the service center for over 2 months and when I get it back the screen has glue meltdown all over it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S (93k miles) was flashing a serious error on the screen about the car may not restart if driven. I dutifully logged it in the app and after several days, they told me to drop it off at Eatonsville, FL (north of Orlando). So I dropped it off on 6/5/2023. The car then sat in the hot Florida sun for like 4 weeks with no diagnostics or someone even looking at it. Finally, after calling them and requesting they tow it (at their expense) to the Jacksonsville service center (Abess road), they agreed.

Jacksonsville received it around July 2nd. It took them a couple of weeks to even look at it and they finally said it was the rear drive unit and it needed to be replaced costing $8800! I was really upset because that same drive unit was replaced just two years earlier (under warranty). But since it was replaced under warranty, there was no warranty extension so now I had to foot the bill. Regardless, I had no other recourse, so I approved the estimate.

After several weeks, I went up there to get my SunPass out of the car. When I find the car in the parking lot, both front windows are down and they have plastic taped over them. Except, the passenger side window plastic is basically only half covering the window. I look in my car and there's pollen and leaves and other crap all over my front passenger seat and floor. It's been raining here like every day this summer. I went inside and well, I let them know how upset I was. I keep my car garaged at all times and this was unacceptable. They ended up towing it inside the shop and promised to detail the car (which they did). And they did take $900 off the final bill.

Finally, I get my car back August 13th. Almost 2 1/2 months later. And the minute I get into the car and the speedometer screen powers up, I see that the glue has melted all over the inside of the screen, making it very blurry to read. So I go back inside the service center and show them the problem and tell them, this glue was not melted when I dropped the car off in Eatonsville. They don't believe me. I tell them it's true, I keep the car garaged. They say it can't happen in two months. I tell them it did. They offer to cover the labor but the part will cost me $1300. I tell them they caused this problem, not me and I'm not paying for any repairs. They don't budge. I then remember that I took a picture of the screen inside the Tesla app showing the original drive failure error and that picture PROVES that I did not have a glue problem. After a while, they come back and say "environmental issues are not covered". What kind of BS is this? What are my next steps? I can't believe that they aren't fixing an issue they created by leaving my car in the hot sun for 2 1/2 months! And furthermore, this glue melting issue is stupid and they should use better glue, but that's beside the point.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can argue they need to fix this on their dime, please comment. Any help is appreciated.

If you can't reach a deal, you must either go to arbitration, or file a small claims court action according to your Purchase contract. I have done small claims (not for an auto). It is somewhat a hassle, but probably more of a fair judgment. Also, check into the MCU2 upgrade. This will update and replace both screens. It is around $2000, but maybe you can do an upgrade to fix this issue at a much reduced cost that you can accept. Good luck. Hoping you can work things out.

They offer to cover the labor but the part will cost me $1300. I tell them they caused this problem, not me and I'm not paying for any repairs. They don't budge. I then remember that I took a picture of the screen inside the Tesla app showing the original drive failure error and that picture PROVES that I did not have a glue problem. After a while, they come back and say "environmental issues are not covered". What kind of BS is this? What are my next steps? I can't believe that they aren't fixing an issue they created by leaving my car in the hot sun for 2 1/2 months! And furthermore, this glue melting issue is stupid and they should use better glue, but that's beside the point.
The glue was going to leak no matter what, it was just a matter of time. Sure, the heat probably sped it up, but it would have happened anyway.

Rather than spend $1300 to replace that screen, and then have the same thing happen to the center screen later, you should just go for the Infotainment Upgrade which replaces both of the screens and the MCU computer and doesn't cost too much more. (Though you do have to pay extra to keep FM/XM, and lose AM forever.)

Reactions: Gumball
Did the swap myself, bought one from Ali for 120 USD. Unfortunately the replacement display had faulty ribbon, so only half of it was working. Finally I ended up with removing the cover glass + also all the shitty glue and it works perfectly with no more bubbles able to occur. Nevertheless, it was a sticky nightmare to get it all out. Good luck to you ;)

It’s unfortunate situation OP is currently dealing but I had a thought, as @MP3Mike have suggested I will try to convince the service to come to an agreement that you (the OP) accept to solve this matter with the Infotainment Upgrade but with the price of the single IC that they have quoted you.

Did the swap myself, bought one from Ali for 120 USD. Unfortunately the replacement display had faulty ribbon, so only half of it was working. Finally I ended up with removing the cover glass + also all the shitty glue and it works perfectly with no more bubbles able to occur. Nevertheless, it was a sticky nightmare to get it all out. Good luck to you ;)
I have to do mine..this just happened to me...What did you do to remove the glass and glue? Thanks!

My 13 MCU1 had no leak for 6-7 years parked in garage at home and work. Left with SC for 3 days parked outside in the sun and SC did no work. 5 bubbles appeared and leak soon accelerated. I'm guessing happens all the time with the crappy Tesla designed MCU1 touch screen optical glue parked in the sun at SC but they admit nothing. Best they offered me was free labor for replacement. I opted to replace myself with ebay MCU1 screen for $100.

IC will leak also but more durable. I think mainly because it has a shaded cover on top. Glue can be cleaned off but quite a bit of messy work.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna