Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS/Chademo adaptors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Brand new here on this confusing site.

I have a '13 S I bought last October. It has a 90kw battery instead of the 75kw that was original. I purchased a CCS adaptor a couple of months ago and used it successfully for a couple of weeks. Suddenly it stopped working. I went to the local Tesla shop and they didn't know quite what the story is. I put in a work order to set up my car to use the CCS system. My work order was cancelled. They said my S can't use CCS and there's nothing in the works to make it so.

My understanding is that any year S can use Chademo. Is this correct? If so, anyone have a Chademo adaptor or know where I can get one? Also, I have a CCS adaptor I'll trade/sell for $400.

Why is this so confusing and difficult to sort out? Even Tesla didn't seem to know what I could do.

I have a 2017 Model S and it doesn't support CCS. Only the latest models years can support CCS. Some have gotten it to work by doing some manipulating of the charge ECU and some custom wiring, but not an easy thing to do yourself.

Your Tesla will work with Chademo but you have to trade or acquire the cable. I just check the Tesla Shop web site, and they no longer list it there, so your only best is a second hand purchase or a trade, but a trade is only good if you're training with someone with one of the latest build Tesla that support CCS.

I see Hariumo is selling the chinese third party plug and redirects you from their page with the official adapter to the 3rd party plug. Not sure if it's worth $300USD for a knock-off - If i was going 3rd party, I think I'd rather buy the North American knockoff - (A2Z)