Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is CCS type 1 combo adaptor selling in Aliexprees OK to use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to buy CCS 1 combo adaptor, but it is always sold out on the official Tesla webpage

It looks like, there are cheap CCS type 1 combo adaptors in Aliexpress.com. Is it OK to use it?

Please do not just say do not buy cheap Chinese product. I know the most products in Aliexpress are not in great quality. However, I just think that the adapter is easier to replicate because it doesn't have such a complex structure. Even I do not have any other options to buy the original adaptor.

The stability aspect is what I want to know the most.

If possible, please only respond if you are using that adapter.

Thank you.

Okay, you did say not to buy cheap, so I won't directly say that, but what I will say is that you shouldn't be fooled by the relative simplicity of the device. Keep in mind you are going to want to pump 250kW (which is a real lot by the way!) through this unit, so construction quality is critical. Proper crimping and welding of connectors is utterly important if you are going to be putting that much power through a unit.

I am not one to say that all Chinese made items are poorly constructed. They are not. Many OEM parts are made to high quality standards in China. But if you are buying an inexpensive knock-off, without tearing it apart, you really don't know what you are getting, so there is a risk, which I know is not what you want to hear, but it's true.

Reactions: tander
Upvote 0
Look at it this way - you are trying to save $100 by getting a cheap knockoff adapter that might damage your $50,000 to $80,000 car. Not to mention the risk of being help responsible for possible damage to a $50,000 to $250,000 DC fast charger.

Make your own decisions, but that seems a very small savings for a huge potential liability.

Upvote 0
Look at it this way - you are trying to save $100 by getting a cheap knockoff adapter that might damage your $50,000 to $80,000 car. Not to mention the risk of being help responsible for possible damage to a $50,000 to $250,000 DC fast charger.

Make your own decisions, but that seems a very small savings for a huge potential liability.
I don't think the OP was considering this purchase because of cost savings, but rather because of availability (or lack thereof) of the OEM adapter.

I do understand that the adapter can be out of stock, but I suspect, like all things Tesla, that it will just be a matter of time before they are in stock again. If possible, I would advise the OP to just wait a few weeks for them to get them back in stock. They will eventually appear. We bought ours soon after they became available and other than a quick test to make sure it was working, there just hasn't been a need for it. It's a nice feeling to have it just in case, but it's more of a nice to have, not a necessity. I would certainly advise patience and persistence rather than having to have one right away.

Upvote 0
Many DCFC networks have a star policy that only OEM provided adapters may be. Liability limiting on their part, but I think they are justifiable in making such a policy. Granted it is somewhere between difficult to impossible to police or enforce. But if something does happen and it comes out that you used a third party adapter, guess what's going to happen next....

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV
Upvote 0
Such an adapter is entirely passive. No conversion, no special programming, not even one piece of electronics. Being passive means it is entirely stable. Your concern, right?

No, the issue is entirely around quality of components, manufacture, tolerances, and etc. More of a “this could kill you, burn down your car, or both” kind of thing.

Tesla‘s most recent Superchargers can deliver up to 1,000 volts and 615 amps. Many would consider 1,000 volts worthy of care. Almost all of the rest would be exceptionally respectful of the 615 amps available. And at least one person wants to cut some corners and save a few bucks. Me? I enjoy the Darwin award videos.

Reactions: RTPEV
Upvote 0
Such an adapter is entirely passive. No conversion, no special programming, not even one piece of electronics. Being passive means it is entirely stable. Your concern, right?

No, the issue is entirely around quality of components, manufacture, tolerances, and etc. More of a “this could kill you, burn down your car, or both” kind of thing.

Tesla‘s most recent Superchargers can deliver up to 1,000 volts and 615 amps. Many would consider 1,000 volts worthy of care. Almost all of the rest would be exceptionally respectful of the 615 amps available. And at least one person wants to cut some corners and save a few bucks. Me? I enjoy the Darwin award videos.
There must be some kind of circuitry in there. My understanding is that CCS1 uses powerline communications on the AC pins, so there must be some kind of interconnection that brings the comms over to the single set of AC/DC pins on the Tesla connector.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else, the adapter will probably work, but I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even use one of the more quality suppliers when Tesla sells a reasonably priced adapter. Just keep trying until you get one.

Upvote 0
There must be some kind of circuitry in there. My understanding is that CCS1 uses powerline communications on the AC pins, so there must be some kind of interconnection that brings the comms over to the single set of AC/DC pins on the Tesla connector.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else, the adapter will probably work, but I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even use one of the more quality suppliers when Tesla sells a reasonably priced adapter. Just keep trying until you get one.
CCS1 does not use AC pins at all, so the pins between NACS and CCS are directly compatible without any signal conversion necessary (they are just dumb converters).

Basically the pin construction is exactly the same as the J1772 adapter Tesla includes except instead of wiring the Tesla power pins to the AC pins, they are wired to the DC pins.

It is also for this reason why one adapter can't handle both AC and DC (at least not safely, there is one aftermarket adapter that has both connected with only a plastic cover to cover the DC pins while you are charging on AC).

Upvote 0
I would not use a no-name adapter to push hundreds of amps at 400V to my car. The risk of heat buildup or arcing is too great. You have zero assurance that the electrical contacts are of proper size or materials. Poor materials or coatings on contacts can corrode and provide resistance to the current flow. Even a very small resistance will result in rapid temperature rise at these high currents. And, if the plastic housing is not made from suitable material, the adapter can quickly begin to melt at low temperatures.

Having read about public L2 chargers melting Tesla adapters, I would not trust third party CCS chargers to adequately protect my car.

And, if something does go wrong, you have literally no recourse with the manufacturer.

I understand that the OP isn't trying to save a few dollars, but trying to deal with a lack of stock. But, is the need so great, with no alternatives? CCS chargers have terrible reliability. So, if one is relying on them, it may be better to search out other options.

Upvote 0
I tried to buy CCS 1 combo adaptor, but it is always sold out on the official Tesla webpage

It looks like, there are cheap CCS type 1 combo adaptors in Aliexpress.com. Is it OK to use it?

Please do not just say do not buy cheap Chinese product. I know the most products in Aliexpress are not in great quality. However, I just think that the adapter is easier to replicate because it doesn't have such a complex structure. Even I do not have any other options to buy the original adaptor.

Thank you.
If price is not a concern, why not buy something from Amazon (and shipped by Amazon for easy returns)? You can at least see reviews and have a way to return it more easily.

I think however it's best to jus monitor the Tesla store daily for stock. I did that also for my 14-50 adapter. The stock comes and goes, but it doesn't take that long usually for it to pop up.

Upvote 0
It seems like I need to return my CCS adapter.
Actually, the above was just sort of a knee jerk response and I've spent a little bit more time thinking about it. This is what I've come up with.

1. I've tested the adapter and it does work
2. I do not rely on CCS charging and would only do it in a tough situation where I couldn't get to a supercharger.
3. If I do allow myself to get into a situation where I need charge and CCS is the only option (being dumb on my part), I'll simply set the car to only charge at 24 amps and suck it up and sit there until I have enough state of charge to get me to a supercharger. This is the best I can come up with.

:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
If I do allow myself to get into a situation where I need charge and CCS is the only option (being dumb on my part), I'll simply set the car to only charge at 24 amps and suck it up and sit there until I have enough state of charge to get me to a supercharger
That can't be done. When using fast DC charging, you do not get to have any input on the charging speed. The car and station just negotiate that directly. The amp setting only applies on AC charging.
My understanding is that CCS1 uses powerline communications on the AC pins,
Those AC voltage pins are literally just not present in a CCS1 plug.

Upvote 0

Thank you.
I have a brand new unused one I’d be willing to sell

Upvote 0