Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center turn lanes aka suicide lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me v12 was a big step up from the v11 I tried last summer. I plan to subscribe. But one place v12 seems to fail big time is turning left using a center turn lane. We have a lot of those here in my part of rural New Mexico.

I felt I had to take over almost every time FSD needed to turn left using a center turn lane. IMO this maneuver is more difficult than the Chuck Cook unprotected left because slowing down or stopping is not an option (if someone is behind you) while you can wait all day to make the unprotected left.

IMO for FSD to work well in my area we are going to need a Chuck Cook of center turn lanes to give the Tesla engineers or AI or whatever something to chew on. My plan now is to always disengage before making a left using a center turn lane so it will take a braver soul than me.

Just like they figured out that performing Chuck's unprotected left was a two step process, first getting to the median and then merging into traffic, using a center turn lanes correctly is similar, first get into the center turn lane prepared to reduce your speed to zero if needed and then merge into traffic (or cross the traffic).

Of course, the center turn lane can be trickier because vehicles coming from the other direction or turning left from the cross street may be competing for your spot in the turn lane. And, as I said, significantly slowing down before getting into the turn lane is often not a option.

Oddly, I think v11 was better at this than v12. One problem is v12 waits too long before entering the turn lane. I don't think it understands the concept of getting into the turn lane and stopping; it sees the maneuver as all or nothing. The car will stop in the turn lane but IMO it should be plan-A not plan-B or plan-C.