Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.3.4 Intervention within first 3 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I got 12.3.4 last night and gave it a quick try this morning to a local Starbucks. It did well on my little side road (not speeding but going a bit slow), then made a great unprotected left turn onto a main 2-lane road. It then strayed over the double yellow center line and showed no intention of correcting itself, so I intervened. First intervention within 3 minutes of driving.

V11 did better than this. More trials later today.

Second try, I navigated to a Costco south of downtown Seattle from home, about 11.5 miles. This time, the vehicle kept to its lane instead of straying over the double-yellow line near the start of the drive. I made it to Costco without an intervention, the drive went very well, and 12.3.4 did very well in the Costco parking lot with other cars and pedestrians. One person stepped in front of me (I had my foot over the brake pedal), and it stopped at a reasonable distance from the crossing pedestrian. I thought about trying to do an autopark and decided not to push my luck today.

On the way, I noted that FSD now signals for mergers onto a freeway from an onramp. It also recognized a speed limit change approaching a bridge that no earlier version every recognized. It did a good job changing lanes to the right lane to make a right turn after the bridge onto a city street, but it didn't signal when it made the slight right turn onto the street.

On the way back from Costco, I had to intervene in the parking lot when my vehicle approached a stopped vehicle ahead of me and didn't seem to stop fast enough. I stopped it myself. I did have a phantom braking event on a freeway on the way home.

A BIG ISSUE: This version does not seem to see orange traffic barrels. In V11 and before, barrels appeared as orange traffic cones. Also, there were orange posts along a bridge where the right lane was blocked off, and those orange posts were not imaged. Perhaps tomorrow I'll go back to the construction zone with the barrels and drive in the right lane that gets closed by the barrels and see if the vehicle responds to them but doesn't display them.

One thing I don't like is the speed surge after a right or left turn. It's not necessary to accelerate so aggressively. I hope that gets fixed shortly.

More testing tomorrow with scenarios that V11 consistently failed around here.

I don't have a tesla yet...am considering whether to get FSD. saw a video on youtube and the car was doing 34 in a 25 mph zone. does this happen
often? Did the driver alter something to let it happen? I don't want to get tickets because the software allowed it or the cameras didn't see the
sign. In the video the screen said maximum 25, but it was going 34.

I tried FSD in my '21 M3 SR+ yesterday and was totally convinced that this is not ready even as a test. 3 times I had to take control on a 5 mile drive. Getting on a highway that is exclusively fed from a street with a 25mph limit, it continued at 25 on the highway. The first 45mph sign isn't for another few hundred feet. The same thing happened going the other way, it used an entrance ramp but I had to hit the accelerator to merge in because it wasn't going to speed up. Even making a left turn onto my street it was going to turn in front of an oncoming car. It also didn't know what to do at a light that turned red as it approached.

After all this time and development, this is as far as they are? It feels like they got to 80% in the first few years but can't get over 95% after all this time, and that last 5% just isn't going to happen. No thanks.

I don't have a tesla yet...am considering whether to get FSD. saw a video on youtube and the car was doing 34 in a 25 mph zone. does this happen
often? Did the driver alter something to let it happen? I don't want to get tickets because the software allowed it or the cameras didn't see the
You can have it choose a speed automatically, but you can also set it to follow limits or limits with an offset. You don't have to speed with it if you don't want to.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Second try, I navigated to a Costco south of downtown Seattle from home, about 11.5 miles. This time, the vehicle kept to its lane instead of straying over the double-yellow line near the start of the drive. I made it to Costco without an intervention, the drive went very well, and 12.3.4 did very well in the Costco parking lot with other cars and pedestrians. One person stepped in front of me (I had my foot over the brake pedal), and it stopped at a reasonable distance from the crossing pedestrian. I thought about trying to do an autopark and decided not to push my luck today.

On the way, I noted that FSD now signals for mergers onto a freeway from an onramp. It also recognized a speed limit change approaching a bridge that no earlier version every recognized. It did a good job changing lanes to the right lane to make a right turn after the bridge onto a city street, but it didn't signal when it made the slight right turn onto the street.

On the way back from Costco, I had to intervene in the parking lot when my vehicle approached a stopped vehicle ahead of me and didn't seem to stop fast enough. I stopped it myself. I did have a phantom braking event on a freeway on the way home.

A BIG ISSUE: This version does not seem to see orange traffic barrels. In V11 and before, barrels appeared as orange traffic cones. Also, there were orange posts along a bridge where the right lane was blocked off, and those orange posts were not imaged. Perhaps tomorrow I'll go back to the construction zone with the barrels and drive in the right lane that gets closed by the barrels and see if the vehicle responds to them but doesn't display them.

One thing I don't like is the speed surge after a right or left turn. It's not necessary to accelerate so aggressively. I hope that gets fixed shortly.

More testing tomorrow with scenarios that V11 consistently failed around here.

Agreed regarding excess acceleration in turns. Get sloshed to the side and then quickly into the seat back all for what? It seems to be intentional. I'm beginning to think it's another default, simulated data training crutch. In this case for the vehicle throttle net to minimize poor traffic gap timing and lateral obstruction issues. Excessively accelerate in the hopes of reducing the risk of being rear ended?

Reactions: jsight
I got 12.3.4 last night and gave it a quick try this morning to a local Starbucks. It did well on my little side road (not speeding but going a bit slow), then made a great unprotected left turn onto a main 2-lane road. It then strayed over the double yellow center line and showed no intention of correcting itself, so I intervened. First intervention within 3 minutes of driving.

V11 did better than this. More trials later today.
I would add this is exactly the reason FSD will get better.we drive it gets better

FSD is getting worse with every release. 12.3.4 is unusable for me.
Wow, 12.3.4 works remarkably well for me. The yellow line incident hasn't happened again. That's not to say it doesn't have problems (see another post I made in this thread earlier). I haven't yet subjected it to a couple of scenarios that V11 failed in my area.

11.4.9 was absolutely worthless in my area. I'd see others post YouTube videos about how great 11.4.9 was in their area and just shake my head.

Bottom line short version...Wow, this is the real deal.

Long version...

FSD (Suprrvised!) 12.3.4 was loaded into my 2019 Model X (has FSD computer and the infotainment upgrade) this past Thursday morning. The previous version was 11.4.9, which was a great improvement from prior versions.

With a weekend road trip already planned, the timing was great for an FSD test. This trip included rural (Minnesota), small town, interstate highway, urban freeway and urban city street (Minneapolis) travel.

Positives
Improved acceleration from stop signs, signal lights, and free way on ramps.

No phantom brake events.

Interventions only on events of unexpected actions by other drivers.

Overall great experience for over 6 hours of drive time.

Negatives
One night time incident of attempted lane change while a vehicle was in the other lane, overriden by manual intervention.

Takes several blocks to slow to the speed limit whe entering a small town. Speed limit change is noted on the display, but very little deceleration. No vehicle following or anything that would encourage continued speed.

Summary
At the end of the trip, my wife and I decided to go ahead with the subscription to FSD for her 2024 Model Y when the trial is over.

Yesterday FSD was unexpectedly switched on by my wife when she thought she was switching on cruise control. That's bad, since we hadn't activated it in Settings.

First problem with FSD is you can't just switch on cruise control.

Second problem is FSD tried to wreck the car:

* We are in the Atlanta 'burbs, so it should be good for FSD, but wasn't ...
* She was intending to turn right at a traffic light, one of several right turns available from the long right turn lane. BTW Multiple lane road with center divider.
* FSD moved the car into the right turn lane far too early (law violation) by 200 yards
* To deter drivers from getting into the right turn lane too early, there are curbs jutting out into the lane, and my wife had to force the car out of the turning lane to avoid hitting this curb at 53mph

Clearly not ready for general usage.

2023 Model Y with 2024.3.6
We didn't license FSD, so this is part of Tesla's one month free usage.
We also hadn't activated it in Settings. Tesla did that without our permission, and my wife was totally blindsided by it.

Last edited:
But here's the problem. Unexpected actions by others. This will happen on EVERY drive I take. It makes it totally unusable. In my one drive I came to an intersection where the traffic ahead was stopped, and there were 3 or 4 cars waiting to turn into the stopped traffic. When the traffic moved again, first one car turned in front of me, then another one started when my car didn't immediately proceed. I made eye contact but the car didn't. I had to slam on the brakes when the other car pulled in front. Incidents like this happen all the time, and not just in Brooklyn.

I took another drive after that out to JFK and after dropping off my son I thought about engaging it, and then thought WTF am I even thinking. NYC taxi and Uber drivers cutting every which way, traffic on the Belt Parkway, a merge from the right, across three lanes to get to the parkway entrance...

Reading these comments makes me wonder how anybody has used it successfully. It just makes too many mistakes. And guess what, Tesla won't take responsibility when it does.

Do not pay $12k for it. You can subscribe for $99/month and see for yourself.

10 years is a long time to keep a car, probably never worth the full price. If for some reason you really want it, you can always upgrade later for the same price.