Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centered steering wheel and now AP1 doesn't pull to the right...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background condition; Steering Wheel needs to be held slightly to the left for straight down the road.
When AP1 is activated, AP1 would hug the right lane line for about 20 seconds, then slowly find lane center and stay there.

Apparently, AP1 does not store the center position of the steering wheel, because it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for AP1 to define lane center.

After adjusting the Tie Rod Ends so that the Steering Wheel is now mechanically centered while driving down the road, AP1 stays in the lane center, when activated. Problem solved!

It seems like AP1 uses an absolute steering position sensor, so when I adjusted the Tie Rod Ends to center the steering wheel, I and I'm just guessing, that made the Mechanical Steering Position and the Absolute Steering Position sensor equal. Now AP1, when activated, stays in the center of the lane, no more 20 seconds for AP1 to "find" lane center.

When we got our S last year, I felt that it was always ever so slightly pulling to the left. I knew it was nothing to do with the front of the car since the wheel was always center. Our first service was the have the rear alignment checked and yes it was out of alignment. Glad you have yours repaired.

Alignment plays a huge role in tire wear as well. I was disappointed that I had to hold my steering wheel to the left when going straight. Did not do anything about that and 20K miles had to replace tires. Now with alignment properly done every annual service, 30K and only half the tire wear.