Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Central Valley CA (Modesto) to LA in a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Modesto to Tejon Ranch (230 miles) is doable but there's only 8 chargers there so depending on luck,

Tejon Ranch has 24 stalls now.

Fresno to Sta. Clarita is doable in a Model 3 LR (at least for us.)

I agree with the above people who suggest leaving home with close to 100% and stopping at Tejon Ranch. Charge to what is necessary to reach your destination. When other sites open along 99 (no telling when) you will have other options to consider.

If that's correct, then somebody better tell Tesla to update their Supercharger map details:

Screenshot_20190406-102854_Chrome.jpg

I'll double check on my car's navigation in a little bit and see what it says.

I don't understand the worry. Tesla LR can handle that without any issue. Tons of people regularly do SF to LA for years in a Tesla. Most recently we took our 3 and could have made it with 1 stop. Modesto to LA will be a non issue in a long range 3. Charge to 100% for road trips and you just need a quick stop at Tejon ranch for 30 min or less and you will get to destination.

I don't understand the worry. Tesla LR can handle that without any issue. Tons of people regularly do SF to LA for years in a Tesla. Most recently we took our 3 and could have made it with 1 stop. Modesto to LA will be a non issue in a long range 3. Charge to 100% for road trips and you just need a quick stop at Tejon ranch for 30 min or less and you will get to destination.
The issue is that OP wants a performance. The LR would be a great car for the trip assuming the Tejon supercharger isn’t congested.

I'll double check on my car's navigation in a little bit and see what it says.
Indeed, the car's nav says that Tejon Ranch currently has 24 stations. I'd trust the nav to have the correct information as it should be updated in near real-time, as opposed to having a webmaster manually update code. If done correctly, you should be able to have the Supercharger web site draw on the same data that is available to the navigation software.

The issue is that OP wants a performance. The LR would be a great car for the trip assuming the Tejon supercharger isn’t congested.

Performance can handle it just fine too. Just set autopilot to 75 and let is cruise on down. I've done several 99 drives with a X75D, LR RWD and 1 time with a performance. I used to fly but autopilot has been so easy on long highway drives that it's a complete gamchanger.

On a side note I just got a performance 3 because of a deal I couldn't refuse - $7300 off on a P3D with 9 miles. I had been driving a LR RWD since May 2018. Having driven both now I think the LR is the better car. I love RWD cars and the AWD Tesla's just feel too planted to the ground. The LR RWD is fast and besides the 0-60 on the P3D which I stopped using after a few days I think it's the all around better choice. Just my opinion though, I'm likely going back to the LR RWD and will keep the P3D in the family. I'd encourage you to drive both back to back before making a decision. People will think I'm crazy but I found the RWD more fun.

Reactions: DocZ
Performance can handle it just fine too. Just set autopilot to 75 and let is cruise on down. I've done several 99 drives with a X75D, LR RWD and 1 time with a performance. I used to fly but autopilot has been so easy on long highway drives that it's a complete gamchanger.

On a side note I just got a performance 3 because of a deal I couldn't refuse - $7300 off on a P3D with 9 miles. I had been driving a LR RWD since May 2018. Having driven both now I think the LR is the better car. I love RWD cars and the AWD Tesla's just feel too planted to the ground. The LR RWD is fast and besides the 0-60 on the P3D which I stopped using after a few days I think it's the all around better choice. Just my opinion though, I'm likely going back to the LR RWD and will keep the P3D in the family. I'd encourage you to drive both back to back before making a decision. People will think I'm crazy but I found the RWD more fun.

You have a P3D+?

Abetterrouteplanner (maybe the reference consumption is pessimistic) suggests that 69mph is the best you can do to arrive with 1% charge remaining (start % is 100%). Modesto->Tejon.

Maybe their reference consumptions are slightly off, though?

I got rid of battery degradation since everyone knows that is a thing of the past.

I think 75mph is possible as long as conditions are good and you can *consistently* draft (modestly) off of someone. Better have that PPF I guess. Any headwind or weather and it is a no-go at that speed. No heat use of course!

At somewhat lower speeds it is no problem in a P3D+ though. Just be willing to arrive with nothing remaining at Tejon Supercharger. You bought a 75kWh battery not a 60kWh one. If all you needed was a 60kWh battery you would have bought the MR! Arrive at 0%, it makes life interesting.

My experience with P3D+ is I got 200 miles out of 80% of the battery on a trip with average speed of about 55mph. Lots of hills though. (Julian->Palm Desert->Salton City->Julian). Not really comparable maybe .

Tejon Ranch supercharger was a good surprise driving south on I-5 to LA. The area is nice, in a strategic location, access is easy, the hotels and food places are plentiful and the Supercharger is great. We were amazed to see 121 kw/ 500 kw/h charge initiated for us (that dropped a bit as the charging progressed).

2019_5_Tejon Supercharger (1).jpg
2019_5_Tejon Supercharger (2).jpg

Tejon Ranch supercharger was a good surprise driving south on I-5 to LA. The area is nice, in a strategic location, access is easy, the hotels and food places are plentiful and the Supercharger is great. We were amazed to see 121 kw/ 500 kw/h charge initiated for us (that dropped a bit as the charging progressed).

View attachment 413747 View attachment 413748

248Wh/mi at average speed of 65mph in a P3D+. Pretty good; about as good as I would expect (translates to a range of about 287-290 miles). Was it downhill even a small amount, or with a tailwind at all? (Date of travel and exact route for this 114 miles? - can look up the winds...even 5mph makes all the difference).

248Wh/mi at average speed of 65mph in a P3D+. Pretty good; about as good as I would expect (translates to a range of about 287-290 miles). Was it downhill even a small amount, or with a tailwind at all? (Date of travel and exact route for this 114 miles? - can look up the winds...even 5mph makes all the difference).

I was driving from Paso Robles due East on highway 46 then turned South on I-5 all the way straight to the Tejon station (May 29 around 6pm). At around 80F there was no wind to speak of and average traffic, driving speed 75 m/h. (Following this quick charge at Tejon Ranch, we had to climb up the Grapevine Pass, and then race down towards LA- so obviously the electrical budget was very different).

Tejon.JPG
My I-5 segment, going left to right. Tejon station is located just before the Grapevine Pass

I was driving from Paso Robles due East on highway 46 then turned South on I-5 all the way straight to the Tejon station (May 29 around 6pm). At around 80F there was no wind to speak of and average traffic, driving speed 75 m/h. (Following this quick charge at Tejon Ranch, we had to climb up the Grapevine Pass, and then race down towards LA- so obviously the electrical budget was very different).

View attachment 413817 My I-5 segment, going left to right. Tejon station is located just before the Grapevine Pass

Looks like you had good favorable mild (generally about 5mph) tailwinds the entire time (see below for Paso Robles, Cholame (in the pass), and Buttonwillow). So this looks equivalent to about a 65-70mph drive (your average speed was 65mph so presumably your driving speed on the freeway was less than 75mph most of the time). Net elevation change from Paso Robles to Tejon Ranch is nearly zero (less than a couple hundred feet). Pretty much makes sense.
Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 3.55.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 3.55.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 3.56.33 PM.png