Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating durability- Any issues at end of life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting Opti-Coat Pro Plus ceramic coating on new model 3, which comes with 7 year warranty. It looks like a great product and the install shop has an excellent reputation. My question is after 5-10 years, is the coating just "gone" and the car looks fine (but obviously without coating), or are there issues with coating coming off in different areas and the car looking different in different parts of the car? Thanks!

When a CC wears down, you shouldn't notice any perceptible difference between the still coated and uncoated areas. The difference you might see is in the water/stain repellant properties but not really so much in terms of gloss, etc.

One thing to keep in mind that is that you should plan on decontaminating (iron-x spray or equiv. is fine) and claying the coated surface every 12-18 months to keep it contaminant free. I also like to use a "drying aid" that provides additional protection on top after a weekly hand wash...I use either Optimum Car Wax (spray hybrid polymer product) or Beadmaker (spray sealant).

I personally never understood a 5 or 7 year coating...it sounds great but I feel like the normal marring that occurs over time would make me want to remove and reapply every 2-3 years anyways.

Can't say enough on the PPF. Had both cars done in PPF, and one in ceramic professionally applied from a great shop. Between the one with and without after all the miles I can't tell. I do seal my PPF with the stuff Xpel says to use, looks great to me. So after paying that much for one and noticing no perceptible difference. Save the money, and have the PPF bumper re-done after crossing 100k. That's what I did.