Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Pro Coating - How Many Layers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be getting a ceramic coating for my new white Model 3 ASAP.

From looking at websites for local detailing shops, they all offer various packages. The higher the price, the longer the guarantee. One of the shops offers a lifetime guarantee that offers four layers of 9H coating (along with a lighter coat).

• Is it really necessary to get the extra coats? Another shop offers a 10 year guarantee, but only uses a single coat of 9H
  • I love the shiny luster of clear coat/wax. The pearl white looks awesome. But I don't want the car to look like it's encased in a thick Lucite layer. Will added layers make the car look more like a museum piece?
Please forgive the noob questions. I've never had any protective layers to a new car, and there is no better time to start this than with a Model 3. Any info/experiences greatly appreciated!

P.S. I've also considered PPF wraps, but for what I want out of this, it's not necessary.

I've also been considering doing it. I would assume the added layers just add more protection and longevity. And with that, more expense.

I've found that when you ask these guys for their opinion they often suggest ceramic over PPF. I'm not certain if that's because that's really what they think is best of if their profit margin is higher. I've also had some say to just PPF the front bumper and then ceramic for the whole car.

I've also been considering doing it. I would assume the added layers just add more protection and longevity. And with that, more expense.

I've found that when you ask these guys for their opinion they often suggest ceramic over PPF. I'm not certain if that's because that's really what they think is best of if their profit margin is higher. I've also had some say to just PPF the front bumper and then ceramic for the whole car.

The PPF (clear bra) was nearly twice the price of a full ceramic coating. $2400 for PPF, $1300 for ceramic.

I only drive about 10,000 miles per year. Virtually all of those miles are urban and freeway driving. I’m also not crazy anal about small paint chips and scratches etc. So I went with ceramic only.

For the ceramic coating, I chose the silver package from ceramic pro. That’s two coats with a five year guarantee. It pays to shop around as I found really large estimate differences between detailers.