Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge current set to 5A max?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we were at a supercharger and it was going great till I noticed it was charging 128km per hour and amp was 5A. Anyone know what's going on? Tesla doesn't even have 24 support anymore guess mon to fri only. I've changed the amp to 48A but it says 5A max in gray under it.

So we were at a supercharger and it was going great till I noticed it was charging 128km per hour and amp was 5A. Anyone know what's going on? Tesla doesn't even have 24 support anymore guess mon to fri only. I've changed the amp to 48A but it says 5A max in gray under it.

When I call up the charge screen now it defaults to 5 amps. Must have been in the last software update 8.5. Would default to my previous setting prior.

It's been like that for quite a while, for over at least 2 months. I guess they don't allow you to downgrade the amp to prolong the charging time, why would you? Unless you have free supercharging and you think by downgrade it, it will prolong your battery life.
You can't control the amperage level of supercharging. That option is just for AC charging.

Supercharging is supposed to be something that you get in and get done with as quickly as possible. That's why there aren't any options for throttling DC charging.

Reactions: mrElbe
I will check next charger but I do know it went from 800+ Or so an hour to 128
When discussing charging, especially DC charging like at a supercharger, it's much better to use the kW (electrical power) value instead of the kph value. Because they will often have different innate efficiencies, the same charging rate (in kW) can often give different kph values for different cars. But the kW value isn't affected by the car's efficiency, so it makes no difference which model you have or what wheels it's on, etc.

Basically, ignore the kph value. It's really only good for somewhat inaccurately bragging how fast your car charges. It's not actually useful for discussing the matter.