Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge with 120v DC solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your battery is warm it might be like putting a conventional 12V on a "trickle charger" but if your battery needs any heat in order to charge, the 480W is not likely to be enough to warm the battery to the point where it can charge.
So the level 1 charger accepts DC as an input? Reread the panels and they are actually rated for 8 amps each. Not much sunlight here during the cold times of the year anyway so I'm not too worried about the battery heat.

Reporting back
Curiosity did not kill the cat in this scenario. I put my panels in series. Came to 130v. I hooked them up to the prongs of my charger.
Surprisingly, no pops or bangs. But also no lights on the charger. I checked the charger on the wall and it still works fine. I guess the software checks for this stupidity and just shuts down if it's DC? Who knows. But it had to be tested...

Reporting back
Curiosity did not kill the cat in this scenario. I put my panels in series. Came to 130v. I hooked them up to the prongs of my charger.
Surprisingly, no pops or bangs. But also no lights on the charger. I checked the charger on the wall and it still works fine. I guess the software checks for this stupidity and just shuts down if it's DC? Who knows. But it had to be tested...
I suppose another possibility is that it uses a capacitive dropper to power the circuitry. That wouldn't work with DC so the chip would just not turn on. It's a shame... Tempting to take it apart since I have a spare anyway and just force the contactor on. Although I don't know if the car has logic to protect against this.