Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger at in-laws - can i get the grant?

Charger at in-laws - can i claim the grant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

My inlaws live in a pretty rural location and I’m keen to get the grant to put a charge in at their home. They are up for the installation but i just wondered if i am eligible for it given i don’t own that property?

Any advice welcome! [yes, i have googled but it seems a bit ambiguous to me]

Cheers

Rules are

• Have purchased an eligible electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle from 1st October 2016 onwards.
• Have private off-street parking.
• Install an OLEV-approved chargepoint.
• Make sure the date of installation is no more than 4 months ahead of the date of delivery or date of becoming the registered driver of the electric vehicle.
• Use an OLEV-approved chargepoint installer.

Reactions: speedyranger74
From the OLEV site

The customer’s designated private off-street parking must be associated to the property of the customer (i.e. the installation address). Where the link between the off-street parking and the customer’s property is unclear, we may require additional evidence such as the customer’s property records (e.g. the property’s land registry) and/or evidence from the customer’s local authority. Where the link between the customer and the property of the customer (i.e. installation address) is unclear, we may require additional supporting evidence (e.g. a utility bill)

Mine is a company car, not owned by me, or my employer (it's a lease). It has taken various letters on headed note paper etc. to provide evidence that the car is for me and will be kept at my address.

I can't she how you could swing it for your in-laws.

Unless your in-laws fancy using your referral for their own Tesla (other EVs are available) then I think it'll be a "no" for the grant. Instead, consider sourcing cheap-ish second UMC from the ForSale sticky thread or eBay that can be left there and, if necessary, have a 13A socket fitted somewhere convenient.

If the typical turn round time for your return trip means that 10A charging (~6 miles-per-hour) is not adequate then club together and get a suitable IEC60309 adaptor for the UMC and install a 16A or 32A "Commando" socket instead.