Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 380 voltage and 32A, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just bought my second hand Tesla MS 90D dec-2015, two months ago. Super happy with it and we are now on our first roadtrip from Netherlands to France.

At my parents home there is an outlet (3 phase) with 380 voltage and 32A, where I can plug the red 16A 3-phase Red IEC 60309 CEE connector from Tesla in with the UMC (Tesla travel package).

And I wonder if this all will work (if I change charging to max 16A in the car)? It might be that it is actually 380V and 16A, not sure.

Any guidance would helpt. Thank you!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180809_131007.jpg
    MVIMG_20180809_131007.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 426
Congratulations! You might want to reach out to Tesla ([email protected]) about it unless someone here has experience with that connection type. Here in the US we have 120 V or 240 V single phase charging for Tesla models at home, and 480 V DC Superchargers.
This is not useful information. The OP is in Europe.
Hi,

I just bought my second hand Tesla MS 90D dec-2015, two months ago. Super happy with it and we are now on our first roadtrip from Netherlands to France.

At my parents home there is an outlet (3 phase) with 380 voltage and 32A, where I can plug the red 16A 3-phase Red IEC 60309 CEE connector from Tesla in with the UMC (Tesla travel package).

And I wonder if this all will work (if I change charging to max 16A in the car)? It might be that it is actually 380V and 16A, not sure.

You need to contact a local electrical supply house or a local electrician. They can make an adapter with a 32A plug and 16A socket. It would look like this:
cee-adapter-starkstrom-32a-stecker-auf-16a-steckdose-30cm-doktorvolt-6657.jpg

If you had more time, you could order one online like this one:
9436432.JPG

Reducing Adaptor (32A CEE phase inverter -> 16A CEE socket) - KRANWELTEN

The Tesla travel adapter is limited to 16A, so this is the best you can do. Otherwise, if you really need to charge with 32A and your car has the dual chargers, you can buy a 3rd party 32A portable charging box.
This is one example:
EVR3 - Type 2 - max 22 kW [Portable charging station] - e-Station Store

Yep, as miimura wrote, basically it will work. But if your parents house has a 32A red socket, you’ll need an adapter. You say you’re not sure it’s 32A, so maybe you get lucky and it’s a 16A red socket. Online EV accessory shops will sell those adapters.

Enjoy your first road trip!

Thank you all for the answers.

We didn't have time to validate if it worked, but Miimura and Benjanos - you where right. A 32A female doesn't fit on a 16A male (One that comes with Tesla car). We did ended up making a conversion but the cable didn't have a ground, so the UMC adapter would not accept it (for the right reasons).

Anyway - I ended up charging through normal Schuko adapter. The only thing we need to do is swap the + and - in the power outlet to make it work. Normally Tesla support would ask you to turn the plug around, but this doesn't work in France as the it is has the ground pin at the top, so it doesn;t work. To work around this you can unscrew the wall outlet and swap the + and -. :)

Uploaded pictures of it in case it helps others in France with a Dutch Schuko Tesla adapter.

Attachments

• Adapter_1037057-02-B_1024x1024.jpg
    Adapter_1037057-02-B_1024x1024.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 222
  • French-power-socket.jpg
    French-power-socket.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 141
There are places selling adapted kits which are kinda cool such as the picture below. Maybe worth to buy one?

Anyway, seem you had a good road trip? I am a Tesla NOOB, but cannot wait for my first Road Trip which should be in the coming weeks.

0000620_nrgkick-11kw-mobiler-ac-typ-2-schnelllader.png

Hi,

This will work, you just have to limit the charging Amp to 16 A using the Charging window (17' screen) in the car. I have a 380 voltage and 16A and using the 16A 3-Phase Red IEC connector from Tesla and can set the Amp I want for charging.Your parents must have a connector red 5-polig IEC 60309, 3P+N+E, 6h installed (refer to attached file).

Attachments

• CH-DE_installation_guide_umc_red_Jan15.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited: