Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a hotel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

As a new Model X owner, I am travelling to a hotel which supplies electrical charging. When asking more information the hotel wrote;

'Charging offers 16A 3.6kw IEC62196 socket, compatible with J1772 type 1 leads using Mode 3 IEC61851 communication protocol'

Can this be used for charging my Tesla?

Thx for your help!

A J1772 adapter might have come with the car. In the US they do and look like this...

upload_2018-6-21_10-51-44.jpeg

Unfortunately at 16A 240v (3.6kW) you will only get about 10 km per hour of charging.

Last edited:
Can this be used for charging my Tesla?

Yes, assuming you carry a Type2-Type2 cable (NB. this is not the same thing as the 'UMC' that Tesla supply with the cars for charging from domestic power sockets etc.).

In the UK, Tesla have variously supplied the Type2 cable, the UMC, or both with new cars - I'm not sure what they are currently supplying in your country. If you don't have one already, then it's a sensible thing to buy as most public destination (slow) charging needs that cable.

A J1772 adapter should have come with the car. It would look like this...

Note this is in the Europe forum. Tesla vehicles in Europe have a different charging connector and are not supplied with a J1772 adaptor.

Unfortunately at 16A 240v (3.6kW) you will only get about 10 km per hour of charging.

It's certainly rather slow, though 10km/hr may be a little pessimistic - I'd expect ~16km/hr in a Model S, obviously slightly less in an X.

Either way, still a useful amount if you are staying overnight but useless for a quick meal stop.

A J1772 adapter might have come with the car. In the US they do and look like this...

View attachment 311438
Here in Belgium, the car is delivered with a type 2 connector and a standard European wall plug. I find it strange that a British hotel would have a charger with a standard plug only used in North America and Japan...

Here in Belgium, the car is delivered with a type 2 connector and a standard European wall plug.

If you have both cables then you are fine (I’ve spoken to other people who thought they had a Type 2 but in fact only had the UMC).

I find it strange that a British hotel would have a charger with a standard plug only used in North America and Japan...

Of course there’s a lot of Type 1 cars out there - notably the Nissan Leaf - but very little public infrastructure has Type1 cables - nearly everything is Type 2 sockets.

When the hotel says “compatible with J1772 type 1 leads” I think what they really mean is “if you have a Type 1 car that’s OK - just bring your Type1-Type2 cable”.

While almost all public infrastructure here is Type2 sockets, there are quite a lot of Type1 attached cables (that you can’t use for charging a Tesla) at private homes. Most EV owners have chargepoints at home (there is a Government scheme that subsidises the installation cost), so if you had a pre-2018 Leaf the captive Type1 chargepoint was the cheapest option.

So you are normally OK at larger hotels that have put in charging specifically for guests, but at guesthouses or B&Bs you may find points put in for the owner’s own car and those could be Type1 only.