Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Etiquette ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The worst charging etiquette I see is people with EVs parking in charging spots and not even plugging their cars in. Just remember, charging spots are not reserved parking for you just because you drive an EV. If you are in an area with a low number of EVs where the charging stations are rarely used, this does not automatically entitle you to park there. I reserve public charging for when I am below 50% charge and know my car will not reach the charging limit before I am able to return to it.

Lots of interesting replies. It sounds like people are against "convenience" charging for the most part.

I can't say I am on board with that. I live in a region that has being doing things to promote people to buy EV, including free charging in places, rebates, carpool lane access, preferred parking etc. This is part of the reason I went with and EV, so why not take advantage of it?

I get that if I charge somewhere when I am out and about I MAY take that spot away from someone who needs it more. The majority of the time where I charge it is another Tesla owner for the 2hrs I am there, so I can't say I feel too bad about taking up the spot. However I do like the idea of leaving a note for someone who might be desperate for a charge to call me.

I live in a region that has being doing things to promote people to buy EV, including ... preferred parking
They have special EV-only, preferred parking spaces where you live? Without chargers? That's a new one for me. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Just to be clear, a charging stall ISN'T a parking stall. They are 2 different things. An EV charging station is a stall that has been set aside for the purpose of delivering a specific service, one that you just happen to need to be parked for. Parking there without charging is a big no-no, even if you drive a car which is capable of using the hardware.

They have special EV-only, preferred parking spaces where you live? Without chargers? That's a new one for me. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Just to be clear, a charging stall ISN'T a parking stall. They are 2 different things. An EV charging station is a stall that has been set aside for the purpose of delivering a specific service, one that you just happen to need to be parked for. Parking there without charging is a big no-no, even if you drive a car which is capable of using the hardware.
Those spaces exist in the US too. Buildings get LEED points for preferred parking spaces for EVs and other “green” vehicles. It may be well intentioned, but you couldn’t come up with a better way to create a backlash against EV owners if you tried. Apparently no one thought to ask actual EV owners about this. We want CHARGING spaces, not PARKING spaces, and will be happy to have them in inconvenient locations away from the building so they don’t get ICEd rather than parking in premier location close to the building.

Yes we have places with preferred EV parking (with no charging). We also have places that have preferred parking if you carpool to work.

Those spaces exist in the US too. Buildings get LEED points for preferred parking spaces for EVs and other “green” vehicles. It may be well intentioned, but you couldn’t come up with a better way to create a backlash against EV owners if you tried. Apparently no one thought to ask actual EV owners about this. We want CHARGING spaces, not PARKING spaces, and will be happy to have them in inconvenient locations away from the building so they don’t get ICEd rather than parking in premier location close to the building.
This exactly the case here - LEED buildings have these special spaces and typically free charging.

Here's a tip: park within the lines when visiting a Supercharger and leaving your car so you don't prevent another space from being used.

Today at the Thousands Oaks Supercharger.
IMG_20181207_140138.jpg