Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla on a Destination Charger - Bad Etiquette ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading to Long Beach for a few days. Good deals on EVs at Hertz ($62/day - 3rd day free). I drive an M3 at home. I'd like to try something different (perhaps I'll be sorry). I guess it has to be a Polstar 2 (wish there was a Mustang or Kia/Hyundai to play with).

Some of the Hotels I'm looking at have destination chargers. And I could get a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Is it bad etiquette (or against the rules) to charge a non-Tesla on a destination charger?

I personally dont see this any differently than Teslas connecting to "non Tesla' public chargers. Some people dont like that (we have seen reports of people telling Tesla owners to "go charge at your own chargers" or whatever, but a public charger is a public charger to me.

The bad thing is tying it up unnecessarily (parking in the spot and not charging, or charging and then leaving your car connected so others cant). Just charging there (in either direction, Tesla to a non tesla public charger, or non Tesla to a Tesla public charger) is fine to me, as long as its actually being used, and not just "I want this parking space".

I said all that, because while I think its fine, and I think "most" people would think its fine, Its entirely possible that the OP gets some flack from "someone" about charging a non tesla vehicle at a tesla destination connector.... even though they shouldnt.

Reactions: unhyphy