Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in shopping centers. AC vs DC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am conducting a study on the subject of: charging with alternating current compared to charging with direct current.

Now I am studying the issue of placing charging stations in the parking lots of shopping centers.

The time spent in the shopping center is 2 - 3 hours.

Which option for you, as a customer, could be better?

1) Three-phase charging 11-22 kW
2) DC charging station

It seems to me that for such places fast charging is not very necessary, but what do you think?

Thank you!

If I'm shopping 2-3 hours, I would choose AC charging every time. DC is so fast at this point, the battery would be full within the first hour no matter how low it was previously and then you would need to move your car.

That being said, I often stop at shopping malls for one or two things in particular, and can be in and out within 30 minutes. If the 2-3 hour assumption is dropped, or if the shopping center is anywhere convenient to a major highway, travelers are going to want a DC fast charge.

Reactions: Glebiys
The answer is BOTH. AC for people staying and browsing for 2-3 hours and DC for people who are going in and out for specific items.
AC should be priced lower because the equipment is cheaper and it encourages people to stay longer. DC should be priced higher because it will encourage people to only use what they need. Idle fees on DC are also appropriate to get people to disconnect and move their car when done charging.