Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted ONLY during day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have this issue? I charge my ‘19 M3 SR+ in my garage using the mobile connector into a 14-30 plug. When I charge at night I have no issues whatsoever, no interruptions at all, it’s ready and charged to my limit well before I leave in the morning. But any time I charge during the day using the same UMC on the same plug, it’ll charge for a few minutes then stop. I don’t get a notification from the app either. I just open the app and notice it’s not charging, so I tap on “start charging” and it’ll begin charging again. I have to keep my app open to keep an eye on it and tap “start charging” as needed. Times are random too, sometimes it’ll charge for 5 minutes then stop and other times it’s been up to ~20 minutes.

Hey man, I’ve dealt with this. Try charging when it’s COLD, like the weather outside is COLD, but make sure it’s daytime. If it doesn’t stop charging (charging does not get interrupted) then your master charger has gone bad. If charging gets interrupted then I would still check out the master charger but get a 100% confirmed diagnosis with tesla before doing the repair.

Upvote 0
It is likely heat and so the charging current is limited to reduce the heat for safety. You might want to upgrade to a higher quality Nema 14-50 or 14-30 (whatever your dryer uses) outlet, because sometimes the lower dollar outlets (dryers don't need top of the line) have weaker contact blades that don't make the greatest contact with the plug head or use metals (like aluminum) that are more prone to getting hot. Especially with repeated plugs and unplugs, as many traditional dryer outlets aren't meant for constant plugging and unplugging. In another house I've stayed at, I've changed the 14-50 outlet to a high-quality outlet (try Amazon or Ace Hardware) and that eliminated this issue.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0