Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupts and car giving up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dryer Buddy that interrupts mobile charger charging when the clothes dryer is on to avoid overloading a 32A circuit. Works great except when dryer is doing its wrinkle-guard thing where it is goes off for 15 minutes then on for 5 minutes a bunch of times. The Tesla appears to give up after a few of these interruptions. I can restart it from the app assuming I'm awake. Anyone know of a work-around where the car will continue to charge whenever power is available?

If you can disable the wrinkle guard function, do that. Another option would be to time your laundry and charging activities so they don’t overlap.

I second the recommendation to run a dedicated circuit for charging. Every receptacle connection is a potential point of failure. The option with the least risk is a hardwired Wall Connector.

I had an electrician install a dedicated 240volt line and plug for my M3. The plug is on the outside of my house. He had to run about 20 feet of cable and drill a hole in the sill of the house to run the cable. Total cost was $200. Never have to worry about the dryer and I get flawless charging with total peace of mind. Well worth the price.