Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Issue at home 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've had my Model S P85 for 4 years, and a Gen 3 Wall Charger at home for a little over a year. Recently I added solar to my roof, and my charger stopped working. The charger has current firmware, and a green light. When I plug it into my car ( or my neighbors Model S) it "Starts to charge" gets to 4 volts and then cuts off. It cycles like this 3 or 4 times before the car charge port lights up red (The wall charger is showing blue) and the inside of the car displays "check charge connection" or "Power insufficient."

I don't know if it is a coincidence that it suddenly stopped working when they installed the solar, or not, but have no idea what is going on or how to get it fixed. I've tried setting charging to 10 amps with the same issue. Normally charge at 40 amps. The Solar install team said they moved the circuit for the charger from one of the house circuits to another, but I'm not certain what that means.

I've also tried resetting the Circuit Breaker, and the car charges fine plugged into outlet, or at super charger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would ask the solar installer to come and re arrange the moved circuit to allow the same current for the charger as it was before their installation. I have also solar arrays (but not with Tesla Gateway or Powerwall) and there is no issues with HPWC or UMC charging home.

Reactions: rickyjb
Is there anything else sharing the circuit with the Wall Connector?

Charging requires a lot of power, but if it exceeds your solar production it should be coming from the grid. Do you have any tools for monitoring power flow from the panels and the grid?