Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rates for 2017 Model S 90 D with dual chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have a chart for the charge rates on 2017 Model S 90 D with dual chargers by the type of outlets. We are giving this to our son and trying to decide what kind of plug he needs to put in.
this car originally charged at 72 amps, but I think that Tesla limited it to 44 amps a few years ago. Looking for reasonable options to a wall charger.

This is what I think you would expect based upon my experience with my June built 2016 MS90D which should be essentially same as your 2017.

Note this is not from any "official" source, but taken from my firsthand experience, the stated capability of the Gen1/Gen2 UMC and different generations of HPWC, and some basic math.

Charging sourcePower (kW)Miles added per hourLimiting factor
Gen 1 UMC,
240V/50amp breaker
9.6 kW30 mphGen1 UMC limited to 40 amp
with NEMA 14-50 on 50amp breaker/circuit
Gen2 UMC
240V/40 or 50 amp breaker
7.7 kW24 mphGen2 UMC max 32 amp limit
Same if 40amp or 50 amp circuit
Gen1 HPWC
80 or 100 amp breaker
17.3 kW54 mphAssumes car has 72amp charger capability
HPWC needs to be on 80amp or greater breaker
Limiting factor is on-board dual charger
Gen2 HPWC
60 amp breaker
11.5 kW36 mphGen2 HPWC limited to max 48 amps
HPWC is limiting factor;
No benefit of 72 amp vs. standard 48 amp on-board charger

This was advertised by Tesla and they recommend to install 240 V connection

5EFF0CA2-E91A-46AE-A4F7-983335D138E7.jpeg

This was advertised by Tesla and they recommend to install 240 V connection

View attachment 1007066
That's for the original HPWC that was capable of supply 80 amps and with an earlier Model S that had dual on-board capability of 80 am.

The current HPWC can only do 48 amps max, and the on-board charger in the car can only do 72 amps max. So that's where the table I created factor those into consideration. If you ratio the values from this table to the charging amps I've assumed you'll find you get within typically a mile per hour or so difference (I've used 30 mph at a base 40 amps, above used 29. There's a slight difference in base Wh/mi of the pre fresh vs. the mid-2016 and later refreshed models which the OP references.)

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
this car originally charged at 72 amps, but I think that Tesla limited it to 44 amps a few years ago. Looking for reasonable options to a wall charger.
Tesla never limited the ability of your car to charge at 72 amps, if you’re using the right equipment to charge. My 2018 Model S, which I replaced recently, was able to charge at 72 amps. The mobile connector or wall connector might be limited, but not the car.

Tesla never limited the ability of your car to charge at 72 amps, if you’re using the right equipment to charge. My 2018 Model S, which I replaced recently, was able to charge at 72 amps. The mobile connector or wall connector might be limited, but not the car.
I expect what the OP is referencing is Tesla having been back and forth at times since mid-2016 on whether cars came standard with the 48 amp, possible upgrade option for 72 amp, or some having 72 amp as standard.

There is a difference in the default charger option in the late 2016~2017 era for the 90D versus what the 100D (which you signature says you had). The 90Ds after the May 2016 refresh had a 48 amp on-board charger as standard, with an optional upgrade to the 72 amp on-board charger. Tesla ended up making the 72 amp on-board charger "standard" for the 100Ds somewhere around the latter part of 2016 (per my memory ... I could be off a few months on that), but I believe eliminated the option for the 72 amp upgrade for cars like the 75D and maybe even the 90D before the 90D was totally phased out.

So I agree that Tesla never took away or reduced the 72 amp capability for a car after it was delivered, but not all cars in the 2017 timeframe which the OP is asking about had 72 amp chargers installed. I certainly know that my June 2016 MS 90D came standard with the 48 amp on-board charger and I did not elect to pay the premium for the 72 amp charger upgrade.

I expect what the OP is referencing is Tesla having been back and forth at times since mid-2016 on whether cars came standard with the 48 amp, possible upgrade option for 72 amp, or some having 72 amp as standard.
I think the OP (and thread title) says their car has dual chargers, so I assume it actually does.

You’re correct about the fact that the dual charger was an option at first, then standard for a while, then removed entirely. My 2018 S100D, which was delivered in December of that year, was one of the last ones with dual chargers, because they removed it shortly after I ordered my car.

Does anybody have a chart for the charge rates on 2017 Model S 90 D with dual chargers by the type of outlets. We are giving this to our son and trying to decide what kind of plug he needs to put in.

If your car has the dual chargers, it can charge at up to 80 amps. Tesla never reduced the charging capability of your car - only newer cars.

Depending on the electrical configuration of your son’s home, he might be able to charge at the car’s maximum of 80 amps. This will require a 100-amp circuit breaker and a gen 2 (or gen 1) High Power Wall Connector. Charge time with this setup would be about four hours.

If your son has limited capacity for such a large circuit, he could opt to install something smaller. The gen 3 Wall Connector (currently available) will charge at up to 48 amps and requires a 60-amp breaker. Charge time with this setup would be about seven hours.

All Wall Connectors can be installed on smaller circuit breakers. This isn’t really recommended unless you have electrical capacity restrictions. Consult an electrician to determine how much spare capacity actually exists. Charge time will vary depending on the size of circuit.

Last edited:
If your car has the dual chargers, it can charge at up to 80 amps. Tesla never reduced the charging capability of your car - only newer cars.

Depending on the electrical configuration of your son’s home, he might be able to charge at the car’s maximum of 80 amps. This will require a 100-amp circuit breaker and a gen 2 (or gen 1) High Power Wall Connector. Charge time with this setup would be about four hours.

If your son has limited capacity for such a large circuit, he could opt to install something smaller. The gen 3 Wall Connector (currently available) will charge at up to 48 amps and requires a 60-amp breaker. Charge time with this setup would be about seven hours.

All Wall Connectors can be installed on smaller circuit breakers. This isn’t really recommended unless you have electrical capacity restrictions. Consult an electrician to determine how much spare capacity actually exists. Charge time will vary depending on the size of circuit.
The car the OP references is a 2017. By that time there was not an option for the 80 amp dual charger, but the maximum on-board charger would be 72 amp capability.

So I think the use of the terminology of dual chargers is being interpreted differently by different people.

The orginal 80 dual charger configuration went away somewhere around Q2 2016. The exact date has never been clear to me, but I know that it was not an option by the time I ordered my first Model in May 2016. Instead they had already moved to the base 48 amp (actually two 24 amp sub-sections) with a 72 amp upgraded charger. My understanding is the 72 amp configuration is actually three of the 24 amp sub-sections from a actual hardware construction.

So I think to those who are actually trying to respond to the OPs original question, it's important to recognize this distinction. I stand by the table I provided in my original response as what I believe they can achieve between the combinations of Gen1 / Gen2 UMC's and the Gen1/2 HPWC (80 amp capable) and the newer Gen3 HPWC which is 48 amp limited.

Reactions: brainhouston
2017 would have either 72 or 48amp "single" charger
It should say what the max is on the charging screen when car is not plugged in
At the time I bought the “2017” Model S( actually purchased in late 2016 to keep the full supercharging for life option which had dual chargers), I asked if I could have dual chargers installed. They said I could and they were installed at the pickup store. I had a wall charger from the 2015 Tesla. I only remember it charging at 72 Amps.

My actual question was bout installing various options instead of a wall connector. There was a chart for the various type plugs and how fast they would charge ( eg wall plug-3-4 miles of charge per hour, dryer plug, Rv plug, etc.) I cannot find that chart any longer and can only remember the wall plug number. Any help with this?

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
sorry i got confused by ur "limited to 44" statement
u would have to search for old table from Tesla website (waybackmachine maybe?..)
ever since 48amp chargers got standard, Tesla removed those higher charging #'s from the table
but in any case only way u can take advantage of 72amps is with wall connector or very few 3rd party EVSEs (more expensive anyways)

My actual question was bout installing various options instead of a wall connector. There was a chart for the various type plugs and how fast they would charge ( eg wall plug-3-4 miles of charge per hour, dryer plug, Rv plug, etc.) I cannot find that chart any longer and can only remember the wall plug number. Any help with this?
I created a lot of one of those old tables for you in my first reply. The only thing I didn't include is what you'd get using a standard 120 volt outlet with the UMC, which will be around the 3 mph range. However, this number can vary a lot depending upon if the car is preheating or having to actively heat the battery (car parked outside in cold climate) as almost all the available power will be consumed by heating the battery/interior. In those worst case cold conditions, you effectively will get nothing on a 120v standard wall outlet.

The rates for a 240 volt outlet I included are really limited by the type of UMC you use and the breaker/amperage of the outlet.

And while they may have told you they were installing "dual charger" that gets back to the fuzziness of what a dual charger really means at that point. For your car it's a 72 amp on-board charger as you indicated.