Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging other (non Tesla) vehicles with Tesla Gen2 UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging OPEL MOKKA-e with Tesla UMC Gen2:

I also posted this in a related thread Here
but not sure how active it is and whether this info will be useful to others looking for it. So have opened another thread.

Has anyone managed to charge an Opel Mokka-e with a Tesla UMC Gen2?

I took our spare gen2 UMC on holiday with us that has never been used, which I purchased from Tesla UK with a Schuko (EU plug) adapter. We have rented an Opel Mokka-e.

Upon connecting the type 2 connector on the UMC to the Type 2 plug on the rented Opel Mokka-e, the car recognises it’s plugged in (small red indicator on drivers display lights up) and briefly (for a second or two only) flashes “charging rate” information, before almost immediately changing to “charging finished”.

The Tesla charger does not make the usual relay/contactor click that you’d expect after being plugged into the car. The lights on the charger stay green (no scrolling effect to say it’s charging - just steady on - no red to indicate a fault).

Normally the Mokka shows a green light in the charge port bay when charging, blue for delayed charging and white for ready - but it remains white. I don’t have another car to try it on, but the Mokka charges happily on a single phase wall charger (supplying ~6kW) and on a 22kW type 2 where it has been accepting about 14kW.

Have tried a couple of different outlets and at a different house. With and without extension cord. Same no luck.

Earth and neutral are connected inside the wall plug sockets here.

I’m pretty much at the end of what I can fathom might be causing it not to work unless there are some kind of comms between the car and charger that aren’t happening?

Any bright ideas?

but not sure how active it is and whether this info will be useful to others looking for it. So have opened another thread.

I took our spare gen2 UMC on holiday with us that has never been used, which I purchased from Tesla UK with a Schuko (EU plug) adapter. We have rented an Opel Mokka-e.

Upon connecting the type 2 connector on the UMC to the Type 2 plug on the rented Opel Mokka-e, the car recognises it’s plugged in (small red indicator on drivers display lights up) and briefly (for a second or two only) flashes “charging rate” information, before almost immediately changing to “charging finished”.

The Tesla charger does not make the usual relay/contactor click that you’d expect after being plugged into the car. The lights on the charger stay green (no scrolling effect to say it’s charging - just steady on - no red to indicate a fault).

Normally the Mokka shows a green light in the charge port bay when charging, blue for delayed charging and white for ready - but it remains white. I don’t have another car to try it on, but the Mokka charges happily on a single phase wall charger (supplying ~6kW) and on a 22kW type 2 where it has been accepting about 14kW.

Have tried a couple of different outlets and at a different house. With and without extension cord. Same no luck.

I’m pretty much at the end of what I can fathom might be causing it not to work unless there are some kind of comms between the car and charger that aren’t happening?

Any bright ideas?
Further to my post above, and replies from Adopado and yessuz in this thread - here, this evening I managed to find a very kind Tesla owner in a neighbouring town who was happy to test my Gen2 UMC charger with his Tesla Model Y. It charged perfectly.

So the conclusion is that the Opel Mokka-e can NOT be charged with a Tesla Gen2 UMC :(

Upvote 0

Any bright ideas?
Interesting, I had the same observation with an Opel Corsa-E and Gen2 UMC yesterday. For 1 second it showed charging speed 0 km/h and then charging finished. Even tried connecting the UMC to Mennekes type2-type2 cable as an extender to rule out possibility of slightly different pin lengths on the UMC.

I wanted to try with a different piece of UMC to rule out it's an issue with my particular UMC, but if you have the same issue, I would say no Gen2 UMC would work on Opel...

So my thought is that the Opel is unable to communicate with UMC to tell it to close the contactors and start charging. The same message was seen on public DC charger when I plugged in the cable (charging at 0 km/h, then finished) until I authorized the charger via mobile app and then charging started. So the Opel is waiting for the UMC to supply the current and UMC is waiting for Opel to request it... Strange is that internet is full of stories of successfull charging of non-Teslas with the Gen2 UMC. So probably Opel is at fault here.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I had the same observation with an Opel Corsa-E and Gen2 UMC yesterday. For 1 second it showed charging speed 0 km/h and then charging finished. Even tried connecting the UMC to Mennekes type2-type2 cable as an extender to rule out possibility of slightly different pin lengths on the UMC.

I wanted to try with a different piece of UMC to rule out it's an issue with my particular UMC, but if you have the same issue, I would say no Gen2 UMC would work on Opel...

So my thought is that the Opel is unable to communicate with UMC to tell it to close the contactors and start charging. The same message was seen on public DC charger when I plugged in the cable (charging at 0 km/h, then finished) until I authorized the charger via mobile app and then charging started. So the Opel is waiting for the UMC to supply the current and UMC is waiting for Opel to request it... Strange is that internet is full of stories of successfull charging of non-Teslas with the Gen2 UMC. So probably Opel is at fault here.
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are suffering the same problem, but as you say it seems to be an Opel fault exactly as you describe.

Our story got worse, we visited a DC charger where as you have experienced it showed the same message, but in our case it was a free charger that didn’t require authentication, so the charger just kept trying to start - I could hear the contractors closing and then opening. The car would recognise it was being charged for a second or two and would then say charging finished and the charging would stop with the charger displaying a failed to start error. I tried a different charging stall with the same result. After two attempts at the second charger I decided to move the car to a type 2 AC charger further along the carpark but was presented with an error message in the instrument cluster saying “electric traction system fault: stop vehicle, see onboard documentation”. The car wouldn’t move - it wouldn’t do anything. We tried disconnecting the 12v battery twice for over 20th each time, then we tried leaving it for a few hours while we got something to eat…in the end nothing we tried resolved the problem. A towing company and representative of the rental company arrived and couldn’t get it to do anything either. I read the manual from cover to cover, which didn’t help all in 43 degrees heat. And to make it all that little bit more difficult it couldn’t even be towed because the drive selector wouldn’t change out of “park”, so a special truck carrying trolley wheels for the car had to be called so it could be loaded.

Quite an experience!

I’m lucky this was a rental car and I hope our issues with the electric traction fault are isolated to our vehicle, and hope owners of these vehicles will find recourse to Opel if similar/related problems are encountered.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0