Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Granny charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got a response from Tesla on this. They said:
“Many thanks for reaching out to us regarding your “Granny Charger”. I can confirm that this unit should only work with a Tesla as the charger itself communicates with the vehicle in order to determine it’s charge rate. Additionally as it monitors its temperature it will amend its charge rate to ensure that it doesn’t trip.”

A bit disappointing really as this seems a bit backwards. Also strange that others have been successful in using it.
I think that is just a bit of a disclaimer - "Don't come complaining to us if you set fire to your wife's ID.3"

(As it happens, it works fine with my wife's ID.3)

Has anyone managed to charge an Opel Mokka-e with a Tesla UMC Gen2?

I took our spare gen2 UMC that has never been used, which I purchased from Tesla UK with a Schuko (EU plug) adapter.

Upon connecting the type 2 connector on the UMC to the Type 2 plug on the rented Opel Mokka-e, the car recognises it’s plugged in (small red indicator on drivers display lights up) and briefly (for a second or two only) flashes “charging rate” information, before almost immediately changing to “charging finished”.

The Tesla charger does not make the usual relay/contactor click that you’d expect after being plugged into the car. The lights on the charger stay green (no scrolling effect to say it’s charging - just steady on - no red to indicate a fault).

Normally the Mokka shows a green light in the charge port bay when charging, blue for delayed charging and white for ready - but it remains white. I don’t have another car to try it on, but the Mokka charges happily on a single phase wall charger (supplying ~6kW) and on a 22kW type 2 where it has been accepting about 14kW.

Have tried a couple of different outlets and at a different house. With and without extension cord. Same no luck.

Earth and neutral are connected inside the wall plug sockets here.

I’m pretty much at the end of what I can fathom might be causing it not to work unless there are some kind of comms between the car and charger that aren’t happening?

Any bright ideas?

I took our spare gen2 UMC that has never been used, which I purchased from Tesla UK with a Schuko (EU plug) adapter.

Upon connecting the type 2 connector on the UMC to the Type 2 plug on the rented Opel Mokka-e, the car recognises it’s plugged in (small red indicator on drivers display lights up) and briefly (for a second or two only) flashes “charging rate” information, before almost immediately changing to “charging finished”.

The Tesla charger does not make the usual relay/contactor click that you’d expect after being plugged into the car. The lights on the charger stay green (no scrolling effect to say it’s charging - just steady on - no red to indicate a fault).

Normally the Mokka shows a green light in the charge port bay when charging, blue for delayed charging and white for ready - but it remains white. I don’t have another car to try it on, but the Mokka charges happily on a single phase wall charger (supplying ~6kW) and on a 22kW type 2 where it has been accepting about 14kW.

Have tried a couple of different outlets and at a different house. With and without extension cord. Same no luck.

I’m pretty much at the end of what I can fathom might be causing it not to work unless there are some kind of comms between the car and charger that aren’t happening?

Any bright ideas?

It reads like you don't know if this UMC is working OK with a Tesla either. You definitely need to confirm that the UMC actually works properly with another EV (preferably a Tesla but at least to discover if the behaviour is the same with a a different car).

It reads like you don't know if this UMC is working OK with a Tesla either. You definitely need to confirm that the UMC actually works properly with another EV (preferably a Tesla but at least to discover if the behaviour is the same with a a different car).
Thanks for the reply… you’re right that the next logical step is to test on another ev (preferably a Tesla).

Unfortunately testing it on a Tesla will probably have to wait ‘til we are somewhere we are a little more likely to find one with a friendly owner or we get home (we’re currently in the very north of Bulgaria where EVs are few and far between and Tesla appear non existent).

I’ll see who I might find around on our excursions and if they’d be a willing participant in experimenting.

This charger is brand new from Tesla and I haven’t ever used it on any car. I didn’t think to test it before leaving, which in hindsight wasn’t terribly smart - we flew to Bulgaria and rented a car. I brought our own charger with us thinking it a good idea to have one with us because the car rental only includes a type 2 - type 2 cable.

It sounds from nearly everything I’ve read that it *should* work.

I’m wondering if anyone:

…can in fact confirm that Tesla Gen2 UMCs does work with the Opel Mokka-e - and thereby eliminate a charger-car compatibility issue - which would point toward there being an issue with the charger;

…or confirm that this car and a Tesla charger don’t play nicely together, which might help others who read this in the future.

I’ll be sure to post an update when I can test it with another ev, or better yet, a Tesla.

Thanks for the reply… you’re right that the next logical step is to test on another ev (preferably a Tesla).

Unfortunately testing it on a Tesla will probably have to wait ‘til we are somewhere we are a little more likely to find one with a friendly owner or we get home (we’re currently in the very north of Bulgaria where EVs are few and far between and Tesla appear non existent).

I’ll see who I might find around on our excursions and if they’d be a willing participant in experimenting.

This charger is brand new from Tesla and I haven’t ever used it on any car. I didn’t think to test it before leaving, which in hindsight wasn’t terribly smart - we flew to Bulgaria and rented a car. I brought our own charger with us thinking it a good idea to have one with us because the car rental only includes a type 2 - type 2 cable.

I’m wondering if anyone:

…can in fact confirm that Tesla Gen2 UMCs does work with the Opel Mokka-e - and thereby eliminate a charger-car compatibility issue - which would point toward there being an issue with the charger;

…or confirm that this car and a Tesla charger don’t play nicely together, which might help others who read this in the future.

I’ll be sure to post an update when I can test it with another ev, or better yet, a Tesla.
UMC is not entirely type 2 connection as such.

When I had a failing AC converter, UMC was working fine while regular type 2 would trip immediately.

You firstly need to check if it works with Tesla. Only then you can make any assumptions

Reactions: M3noob

I’m wondering if anyone:

I would expect the gen2 UMC to work but obviously it doesn’t in this case. And no one here specifically know about the MokkaE… I’m not even sure what you gain from knowing whether it should or shouldn’t… you know that this one doesn’t already so you need alternative charging.

Any bright ideas?
Further to my post above, and replies from Adopado and yessuz, this evening I managed to find a very kind Tesla owner in a neighbouring town who was happy to test my Gen2 UMC charger with his Tesla Model Y. It charged perfectly.

So the conclusion is that the Opel Mokka-e can NOT be charged with a Tesla Gen2 UMC :(

Further to my post above, and replies from Adopado and yessuz, this evening I managed to find a very kind Tesla owner in a neighbouring town who was happy to test my Gen2 UMC charger with his Tesla Model Y. It charged perfectly.

So the conclusion is that the Opel Mokka-e can NOT be charged with a Tesla Gen2 UMC :(
what I think, according to my experience, tesla did some sort of magic with type 2 of UMC. because whhen generally type 2 AC failed, it charged with UMC

Thanks for raising this. We’re taking our newly acquired Mercedes EQE on a Spain / Portugal road trip this summer and was hoping to use our Tesla granny charger as a backup. I’m pleased to report it’s worked fine with the Merc. Phew - relief - as I was planning to charge where we are staying.

Thanks for raising this. We’re taking our newly acquired Mercedes EQE on a Spain / Portugal road trip this summer and was hoping to use our Tesla granny charger as a backup. I’m pleased to report it’s worked fine with the Merc. Phew - relief - as I was planning to charge where we are staying.
I think it will be the exception if some cars don’t work with the UMC. I’ve used mine successfully with an Eniro.

Did you rule out the possibility of a dicky supply? If the Tesla was successful at a different location could that have played a part?

Hi sorry to go slightly off topic but I too use a granny charger and have done for a year on my M3sr+ with no issues. I run an extension lead from the garage to the car on the drive. I do about 15% on my daily commute and my 4 hours off peak charge that back most nights. On occasional big commutes it is annoying having to stagger or pay the on peak rate but at the moment can’t justify the 1k cost of installing vs the cost of on peak (~30p kwh)

My question was about using the Tesla granny charger on a different vehicle. We recently got a Ford Kuga PHEV which comes with its own granny charger. The Ford charger works fine on both cars but the Tesla charger does not charge the Kuga for some reason. Has anyone else tried to charge another EV/PHEV with the Tesla granny charger?

I’m now using the Ford charger daily but would prefer to use Tesla just because it’s easier to open the charge port with the button!

I’ve done some Googling on the issue but can only find solutions for the dedicated Tesla wall charger.

Any help appreciated

I am currently experiencing the same issues.

We have borrowed a friend’s Kuga and cannot charge it with the UMC. Tested the UMC again afterwards on the Model 3 and it’s fine.

The Kuga charges from public stations no issue. It’s really just the UMC it doesn’t like.

Was there any further updates/workarounds? From the comments here, it appears to be a Ford specific issue not playing fair with the Tesla UMC.

Hints welcomed.

It's more likely to be a Tesla UMC issue not properly supporting other cars.

The original UMC1 that came with the Model S and Model X (the UMCs that supported 3 phase) could nuke a non Tesla because it did not implement the charging protocol correctly and split single phase current ove more than one of the 3 phase cables - the recipient non Tesla car was told one thing and got something else.

Tesla also have their own protocol they typically try and use before switching to the industry normal one.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Plenty of instances of people successfully using the UMC Gen2 (all within the past 4 years) to charge other EVs ... Gen 1 UMC is a completely different kettle of fish.

Clear, but this seems to be a Ford specific issue, as mentioned.

I have a Gen 2 as that’s all the ever shipped with the Model 3s
Agreed. I was countering the suggestion that a non standard Tesla UMC protocol was the most likely culprit. At the end of the day if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work whichever end of the comms is at fault. However if multiple other brands work with the UMC there’s a fair chance that it’s the Ford that’s the problem.

Reactions: Jason71 and LK06