Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Charging) Route from Toronto to NJ Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on taking my Model 3 (LR, 19" wheels apx 7% battery degradation) on a trip next week from Toronto to New Jersey. For a couple of different reasons, I am planning on crossing at the Peace Bridge

ABRP (I have set arrival at apx 15%) is showing two different routes with (depending on when I look) either 5 - 10 minutes or apx the same time between them.

One route has 4 SC stops - Cheektowaga (10 min); Waterloo (14 minutes); Binghamton (10 min) and Roscoe - 17 minutes. (4 stops / 52 minutes of charging - 778 km)

The second route has only 3 SC stops - Niagara Falls (before the border) (18 minutes), Erwin (32 minutes); and Roscoe (17 minutes) ( 3 stops / 1 hour 6 minutes of charging - 767 km)

As noted, each of these routes are apx the same total time and get me arriving at my destination in NJ with apx 15%.

I always think that while the charging time for the 4 stop route is shorter in each instance, you also lose a fair bit of time getting off the highway, getting back up to speed getting back on the highway etc, so in reality, the 4 stops might be materially longer.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be a better choice between these 2 routes. (Typically, I would follow Waze and adjust accordingly, but here, one route has me crossing the border and then doing my first charge, whereas the other route (the 3 stops) wants me to charge a little early at Niagara Falls - so I am reluctant to rely on Waze to pick a route once I cross the border, because if it takes me on the "3 stop route" but I missed charging at Niagara Falls, I might be stuck given the longer stretch of road.

Thx in advance.

I've learned to pretty much trust what ABRP tells me (although maybe I am more efficient than most drivers--I usually keep it to within 5mph over the limit). Plus, ABRP has "learned" my car and driving habits. As such, I feel comfortable with a 10% SOC arrival at charging stations and even as low as 5% at home.

Binghamton is a bit of one of those stops that is a bit awkward. The Supercharger is between two exits so you will be off the highway and on a local road for a little bit. It's not horrible, but not great. That said, ABRP does take that local road into account in its timing, and you can even set an "overhead" of how many minutes you want to account for for each stop (to get out of your car and plug/unplug, etc.)

I do have a soft spot for the Roscoe Diner though and am glad both routes take you there!

What I usually do is to just see how it's going while en route. The weather may be such that your efficiency is worse (or better) than originally predicted. As you near Niagara Falls, hit the Alternatives button to see if things have changed materially. You may also feel like stopping anyway in Niagara Falls and can re-assess then. Or, you may not be ready for a stop yet and then yes, push on to Cheektowaga and take that route.

That route (I'll call it the northern route) does take you on the NY State Thruway, so there will be an extra cost involved in that, but the other route that takes you through Erwin involves some "country" driving. But even the northern route looks like it will take you off the highway and down through the Finger Lakes. This may be scenic, although it will probably not be particularly fast.

Thx - Yes- I am a big fan of the Roscoe Diner! I have an EZ pass so yes, there is a cost to the Thruway but I find that route a pretty clean / straight shot with proper "rest stops" if needed. I think the Erwin route is "Mount Morris" (?) which if I recall correctly is very scenic, but if you get stuck behind a slow convoy, it can be an issue.
I may have to be fluid and flexible and just play it by ear. I am inclined to think that stopping in Niagara Falls is going to be too early but I do like the idea of trying it in 3 stops.

Interesting that when I change the arrival to 10%, the "3 stop route" doesn't change (although it takes 6 minutes off the charging time) , but the northern "4 stop route" takes me to Buffalo (8 min); Waterloo (14 minutes); Binghamton (10 minutes) and Roscoe (18 minutes) for total charging of 49 minutes

Reactions: RTPEV
Are the routes any different other the offshoots to the superchargers? I did a similar route a few weeks back from Central NJ to Amherst NY, which is between N Falls and Buffalo. It sounds like you are headed to Northern NJ if Roscoe and Rt 17 are on your route(s).

On the way to WNY I did 3 stops. Binghamton, Syracuse then Buffalo to give me juice at my stay. I arrived at the BUF SC with around 29%. On the return, I charged high in Rochester and Binghamton (had lunch at the diner) returning home around 23% My route home involved heading through Scranton and to Easton, so further south than 17.

The on/off in Binghamton is a bit strange as RTPEV mentions. But it is easy.

EDIT - just saw your reply ^^^ and that the other route is Mount Morris. I have done that many times but not yet with the MY.

Thx for your reply. I am heading to the Teaneck area in NJ for the day / overnight and then heading into the city. I don't have any good charging at my brother in law's place in NJ (other than a 110 in the garage) but I don't mind showing up with a low SoC as I can always plug in to 110 overnight, or even hop out in the evening to a SC and juice up after the fact.

I think the only difference / main difference is that the 4 stop route seems to be longer in terms of total KM but is mainly on the throughway / highway roads whereas the 3 stop route is less total KM but on smaller / non highway roads (Mount Morris etc). But I may be misreading that.

(I have done this same drive many many times in an ICE but honestly do not pay any attention to the route - I go where Waze tells me to go)

Thx for your reply. I am heading to the Teaneck area in NJ for the day / overnight and then heading into the city. I don't have any good charging at my brother in law's place in NJ (other than a 110 in the garage) but I don't mind showing up with a low SoC as I can always plug in to 110 overnight, or even hop out in the evening to a SC and juice up after the fact.

I think the only difference / main difference is that the 4 stop route seems to be longer in terms of total KM but is mainly on the throughway / highway roads whereas the 3 stop route is less total KM but on smaller / non highway roads (Mount Morris etc). But I may be misreading that.

(I have done this same drive many many times in an ICE but honestly do not pay any attention to the route - I go where Waze tells me to go)
I will say that when I go to my in-laws in northern NY that ABRP tends not to favor some of the smaller roads that I do know are much more direct/faster. I can't say that Waze gets them all either (some of this is local knowledge), but it is better than ABRP's routing.

I guess I would say to plug your drive into Waze and see what it recommends, and then pick the ABRP route that most closely matches what Waze is telling you to do.

Will post more about my route later but ended up charging a little longer in Binghamton, skipping Roscoe and arriving in Teaneck with 12%. Pretty good all in all.
Decided to go out after dinner to the Paramus Supercharger to charge up before heading into the cory in the morning. What a mistake!
When I drove by Paramus on my way in, I saw that it was full. When I drove over this evening there were 3 stalls empty but by the time I arrived there was only 1. I got the last stall which of course means slow speeds but there has been a continuous line of people. Every car has NJ plates and people are here for a long time.
I am trying to juice up for the rest of my trip tomorrow so I have already been here a solid 40 minutes and in that time, not many people have left.
It seems as if many are using this SC as a home charger / fill up the tank location.

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson and RTPEV