Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd supercharger routing and -10% arrival on recent trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say that it's insistence on taking me to Liphook was wildly wrong, so I went straight to Guildford superchargers instead and the rest of the journey went as expected.

Probably thought you had time for a round of golf!

Liphook is a very nice supercharger site although possibly a bit slow by today’s standards. Just don’t approach from across country - very poor quality roads last time I accidentally did it coming in from south east direction.

• Funny
Reactions: ajmorr.is
I have to admit the charging does baffle me, but I never really tried to understand what/why it was doing it, I'd just trust that 'under the hood' there was method in the madness.

With regards to the arrival with low percentage, as others have said, you just stop longer at a SuC. The counter argument to "it got me there with low charge" is that if you had a Diesel VW, its nav will get you to your destination... it won't even consider your fuel tank or whether to route you via a forecourt to top up your tank. *

(* I appreciate this is not a 100% apples vs apples comparison as VW don't run any petrol stations)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Fortunately that's not actually how the nav normally works (despite what @MrBadger posted). I've no doubt it may misjudge the likely average speed on some roads but that's not routinely the case. I say this because I drive on 60 limit country roads 90% of the time. These are roads where you are going to average only 45mph yet the nav correctly predicts my arrival time, so it knew I wasn't going to be doing 60mph. I suppose there is a possibility that it operates completely differently when doing a re-route off the motorway but I can't think why it would.

I think the issue is when a road gets little usage the apps have no data so assume the 60mph is correct.

is there any reason that the car can't do that bit too?

Each additional feature will add complexity (from user perspective), and increase DEV cost (clearly the feature appears trivial, but it needs to work in all variants, all future updates until eternity, and that has a cost in terms of setting up automated testing scenarios and so on).

What if you want to arrive with 50% and there is no supercharger near enough to make that possible? (yeah "Display a message", but even for this relatively simple request there will be a myriad of edge-conditions that will need to be catered for ... and for every variant that exists - that might well be a small number, for a range-calculation like this, I dunno ... but I do know that edge-condition-count is always higher than anyone in my DEV team has predicted!

Another very odd experience today; driving from Manchester to south London, 230 miles via the normal route and I should easily be able to do it without stopping (my destination has charging). Even the energy graph was telling me I could, but it insisted I need to stop and charge at Oxford for 5 minutes but when I forced it to remove the charging stops it predicted I’d get there with 11% remaining. I can kind of live with that - maybe it was erring on the side of caution… But the M6 was closed when I set off and despite being routed around the houses to avoid it, the traffic elsewhere was horrendous and Google Maps on my phone switched to routing via the M1 instead to save half an hour (Tesla didn’t, it was still insisting on trying the M6/M40 and stopping at Oxford services) so I headed towards the M1 and eventually forced the Tesla nav to do the same. But as soon the Tesla nav was on the right route, it told me to stay under 70 or 75mph to be able to reach the destination (with a predicted 4 or 5% on arrival) but it completely refused to schedule a charging stop, despite obvious multiple options. I wondered if it knew that had selected to ignore the charging stops to my destination on the M6 route so I tried a new destination 10 miles away from the original and still no charging stops, but the same speed recommendation. Tried routing to Edinburgh and sure enough a charging stop was scheduled.

Obviously I ignored the speed recommendation, didn’t do any charging stops and arrived with 13% SOC.

Why would it refuse to schedule a charging stop on the M1 southbound?!

Each additional feature will add complexity (from user perspective), and increase DEV cost (clearly the feature appears trivial, but it needs to work in all variants, all future updates until eternity, and that has a cost in terms of setting up automated testing scenarios and so on).

What if you want to arrive with 50% and there is no supercharger near enough to make that possible? (yeah "Display a message", but even for this relatively simple request there will be a myriad of edge-conditions that will need to be catered for ... and for every variant that exists - that might well be a small number, for a range-calculation like this, I dunno ... but I do know that edge-condition-count is always higher than anyone in my DEV team has predicted!
I'm fully aware of software lifecycle, instead of a useful feature, we get games added, which arguably also has an integration and regression testing cost.
It's not a difficult feature compared with other Tesla challenges.