Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging starts when app is open (bug or feature)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 is plugged in, the charging is stopped, and there is no charging schedule. If I open the Tesla app, the charging starts without me pressing the start charging option. It just starts automatically when the app is open (I guess that also wakes up the car). Is this behavior by design? I don't always want the charging to start automatically after I manually stopped it.

My M3 is plugged in, the charging is stopped, and there is no charging schedule. If I open the Tesla app, the charging starts without me pressing the start charging option. It just starts automatically when the app is open (I guess that also wakes up the car). Is this behavior by design? I don't always want the charging to start automatically after I manually stopped it.

If you have no charging schedule set, this is exactly what is supposed to happen according to the manual, p.131, irrespective of app usage. That is, after plugging in and car is in park and battery conditioned (and SOC is below threshold of charge limit), you have to expect charging to commence. If you set a schedule, it will not automatically start unless you plug in within 6 hours after scheduled start time. If there is something more complicated you want to do while the car is plugged in, you may have to automate it via the API.

My 2019 M3 also has same problem, car idle and mobile in remote location, connecting charger will not start charging. I need to open the app in order to start charging. How do you fix it finally?