Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge ports opens then closes immediately - won't open with external press.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have scheduled the car for service.

The charge port won't open with an external push on the flap, even when the car is awake and the doors/trunk are open. When I use the touch screen to open the chargeport it opens, then closes again, in a fraction of a second. I had to have my wife press the charge port open button and I then held it open so that I could insert my L2 charge cable. The port still tries to close with the charger plugged in.

I had this happen about 2 months ago. Also had an alert that the charger port wouldn't open by pressing. By the time service showed up it had fixed itself. I had that warning for a long time but never even verified it, e.g. always used the app or screen in car to open port.

I had this happen about 2 months ago. Also had an alert that the charger port wouldn't open by pressing. By the time service showed up it had fixed itself. I had that warning for a long time but never even verified it, e.g. always used the app or screen in car to open port.
I have a feeling that it's firmware related but so far it's not opening when requested.

EDIT: I just tested it and now it's working as per normal!

Last edited:
Did (mobile?) service replace it?

I'm 150 miles from a service centre right now, and I'd rather not do that drive tomorrow if I don't have too.

Same problem on my 2023 M3 RWD (v11.1 (2024.2.7)). Touch screen control and voice commands and mobile app control all resulted in same behavior - port opens then immediately closes. I opened the port with the app and held the port open while I plugged in the wall charger. Charging proceeded as normal. I left it overnight. When I came back to the car in the morning and disconnected the charger, all controls worked normally. Door stayed open until it was closed via the controls. Seems like a software bug. You have to take the phone away from the car for while (don't know how long), then return, and the problem clears up.

Reactions: DuncanM
Same problem on my 2023 M3 RWD (v11.1 (2024.2.7)). Touch screen control and voice commands and mobile app control all resulted in same behavior - port opens then immediately closes. I opened the port with the app and held the port open while I plugged in the wall charger. Charging proceeded as normal. I left it overnight. When I came back to the car in the morning and disconnected the charger, all controls worked normally. Door stayed open until it was closed via the controls. Seems like a software bug. You have to take the phone away from the car for while (don't know how long), then return, and the problem clears up.
I have the same issue just appeared on a brand new TMY. I opened a ticket with the mobile service but will see tomorrow if this fixes on its own. My car is not far from me so it’s always within range of a Bluetooth. So I have disabled the Bluetooth and will see what happens tomorrow. Not sure why it happens. Heard of its pouring can causes it but it’s very light rain today. Annoying bug for sure.