Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Suggestions in Asheville, NC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck. I live in the area 90 miles north and while there are many 6kw J-1772 (30 amp) options, I think I am the only one to offer more than 30 amps. If I were you I would push Tesla for a CHAdeMO adapter as those are up and running in the area. Of course that does not help me in my Roadster. If you make it as far north as Kingsport look me up on Plug-Share.

Last edited:
Dhrivnak, I can't thank you enough for your wonderful hospitality yesterday. The trip went off without a hitch, thanks to you lending me some "juice." I hope I can return the favor in the not too distant future. It's always great to meet other EV enthusiasts!

My research found an RV park with 50A outlets (NEMA 14-50). Haven't called them yet, but the info is as follows:
Bear Creek RV Park and Campgrounds
81 South Bear Creek Rd
Asheville, NC 28806
828-253-0998

I would like to drive to AZ. This RV park is about 190 miles from the Burlington, NC Superchargers. The next stop for me would then be to charge in Knoxville, TN (116 miles from Asheville). Any suggestions for Knoxville? I hope to find a place to charge during the day and then continue to Nashville (180 miles) for the next charge (over night). I wish the CHAdeMo adapters were available already, as I note such chargers are available at many Cracker Barrel restaurants in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a Nissan dealer in Asheville with 3 J chargers. Again, have not called them yet to see if they would allow a Tesla to charge there:

Anderson Nissan
629 Brevard Rd
Asheville, NC 28806
888-858-5463

My goal is to get from Burlington, NC to Nashville, TN (stopping in Knoxville, TN to charge) in one day. Hence the desire to find the fastest charging options possible. The RV park is my first choice, with the Nissan dealer being a fall back, if necessary.

Let us know here how it goes with the RV park, and I'll add them to Recargo.

My point about Nissan dealers was that you'll get just as fast charging if you go downtown, which will be a much more pleasant experience. You may even find a charger that delivers 32 Amps (40 Amp circuit) instead of 24 Amps (30 Amp circuit). Check the checkins on Recargo and Plugshare to see if anyone reports higher power on any of those. Also check Chargepoint and Blink to see if any are listed as 32/40 sites.

I wish the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter was available already. Apparently there are numerous such chargers throughout TN and other states, such as at Cracker Barrel and also some Nissan dealers. Would speed up the charging process.

My goal is to get from Burlington, NC to Nashville, TN (stopping in Knoxville, TN to charge) in one day. Hence the desire to find the fastest charging options possible. The RV park is my first choice, with the Nissan dealer being a fall back, if necessary.

Hi,

I just made the trip from Burlington, NC SC to the Asheville West KOA, Candler, NC, then on to Crossville KOA, NC last week, going on thru Nashville.
Spent the night in a Kabin @ Asheville West KOA, charged the car.
Mountains do take a bit of extra energy from your anticipated Range.
If you plan to charge @ Candler KOA only (some 50 Amp outlets are available), please call to ensure the operators are okay with that request.
Burlington to Candler is 201 miles.

Candler to Knoxville is 106 miles.
Estimated mileage from Burlington to Knoxville is 306 miles. You will need to acquire at least a bit of a charge in order to make it to Knoxville.

Candler to Crossville KOA (I charged there too) is 176 miles.

Knoxville to Nashville is easy, 180 miles, part of it going downhill.
Crossville to Nashville is a breeze, 114 miles.

I just did a really long drive, the most I did in a day was 495 miles on mostly flat land.
Burlington, NC to Nashville is 484 miles, part of it traversing through some very tough mountains.
It will take you over 20 hours (some driving but mostly charging) to cover that distance and keep a bit of buffer (mine was 30 miles) in your battery.
You can do it, but just be prepared to drive in a conservative fashion in the Right Lane.

A folding chair and a good book will come in handy while your car is charging.

Enjoy your adventure!

Not sure, but there is a public garage (College Street Parking Deck) right behind the Renaissance Hotel that has a 30 Amp J1772 that you can use for free. It does cost to park in the garage though ($8 per night). Just used this two days ago.

Penny pinching tip--if you leave early enough in the morning it's unattended and they leave the gate open. We left at 4:30am.

There are 2 J1772 chargers at the Buncombe County Interchange building (59 Woodfin Pl). I spoke with someone at the front desk and they said that public use of the chargers all day for free was allowed. Officially, no overnight parking, but I don't know if they really check. Also, the Visitor's Center off Montford has free charging (J1772). Both are convenient walking distance from center of town. I charged at both when there in December for a weekend. Easy to get enough charge to get to Burlington Supercharger.