Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chart examples near SP500 inclusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My aim is to show some examples of what happens surrounding a stock in the months before and after inclusion in the SP 500. I think I will show a daily chart positioning the addition date near the middle, also a weekly chart for added long term perspective.

First off is Wabtech, WAB, added 2/27/19. Strikes me as a good balance to the bullishness.

For politeness, click thumbnails to see larger. Wab1.PNG Wab2.PNG

Dexcom, DXCM, a major winner for some of late. Great new products with added services over the old tech. Diabetes continuous glucose monitoring along with insulin pump integration, first line therapy for diabetes. Virtual pancreas possibilites. Added 5/12/20. I added a third chart showing a huge gap that held, kind of the scenario chart worriers could be concerned about in TSLA.

dxcm1.PNG
dxcm2.PNG dxcm3.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Ipe
Gartner, IT, added 4/5/17. Zoomed in a little closer on the daily, maybe 10% move close to the actual addition. 2nd chart shows previous two earnings, first of which caused a big pop. Not all that much of a grower since then, certainly compared to todays chart. Perhaps fundamentals rule the long term game?

IT1.PNG IT2.PNG IT3.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Ipe
LKQ, I think they recycle cars and car parts. Added 5/23/16. Is this an exponential growth business? What will happen with changing auto market? Seems to me that a more important concern is the underlying business, its growth prospects, and proper execution.

LKQ1.PNG lkq2.PNG

OK, I am going to move onto some larger newer growth companies for some hopefully better comps.

AMGN added1/2/92. Decent move before addition, great long term action. Took a few weeks retreat after addition. What we all want to see over our lifetimes for TSLA?

AMGN1.PNG amgn2.PNG amgn3.PNG

NFLX, added 12/20/10. The big red volume spike is on the 17th. Decent move up before the addition. Here is what I love about this one, the long term story stayed intact and those that bought and held, even at the addition, were rewarded over time. 10 years later the stock is like 20 times the addition price!

NFLX1.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Right_Said_Fred
OK, So my gut check conclusions:

Lots of variability, no generalities.
Some win, some lose.
Long term overall picture more important.
I'll take a big move up in TSLA before inclusion, but perhaps we are already in the midst of it? Is there more?
How much stock do MM have that they bought lower and are willing to sell even here and now?
Every share in existence is profitable now.
I am going to stick to the plan.