Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Charge Cable - HPWC High Power Wall Connector Flashing Red Gen 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you found this thread I will cut to chase - take the charge cable and uncoil it. Lay it out on the floor as much as possible to avoid coiling. You should then be able to reset the HPWC and get the car to charge.

How do I know? Took the old S 85 in for ironically an inability to Supercharge, but normal charging was ok. Loaner was an X P100D for the wife and infant. (She is very happy :) ) Plugged it in and got the red ring and the Check Charge Cable - Charge cable fault message. Cycled breaker, reset etc, etc nothing worked. Ok.... luckily we have two Tesla's and two HPC's.... back the car outside uncoiled the cable plugged it in and started charging! So I swapped cars, put the X in my spot plugged in and again wouldn't charge. After some choice words I figured out the one difference. Uncoiled the cord, and was able to get it to start charging.

Thank goodness I figured it out - would have been ugly tomorrow morning!

If you found this thread I will cut to chase - take the charge cable and uncoil it. Lay it out on the floor as much as possible to avoid coiling. You should then be able to reset the HPWC and get the car to charge.

How do I know? Took the old S 85 in for ironically an inability to Supercharge, but normal charging was ok. Loaner was an X P100D for the wife and infant. (She is very happy :) ) Plugged it in and got the red ring and the Check Charge Cable - Charge cable fault message. Cycled breaker, reset etc, etc nothing worked. Ok.... luckily we have two Tesla's and two HPC's.... back the car outside uncoiled the cable plugged it in and started charging! So I swapped cars, put the X in my spot plugged in and again wouldn't charge. After some choice words I figured out the one difference. Uncoiled the cord, and was able to get it to start charging.

Long thread on this earlier this summer there were some issues with gen 1 WC and MCU2 ..few of us got free replacements gen2 WCs ..to this day Tesla hasn’t fixed any of this compatibility issue .. I had to reset multiple times before would charge than when replaced with Gen2 worked fine

• Disagree
Reactions: juanmedina

Ummm...that's not good. Uncoiling the cord would only help if there were a broken wire in the cable that straightening temporarily closed. If that's the case, it will soon stop working altogether. I had a similar situation with my Blink EVSE, where moving the cord would "fix" it. The pilot wire was broken, and I had to replace the cable and handle. Ironically, I had a similar situation to you because I first noticed it when I got my RAV, so I initially thought it was some sort of weird incompatibility. The real reason it showed up then was that the inlet was higher off the floor and the added weight on the plug opened the break enough to fail.